Cheer on your Baltimore Ravens with this simple Baltimore Ravens Puppy Chow! Chex mix cereal is covered in candy melts and powdered sugar for a fun and unique game day recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
I love puppy chow, also called muddy buddies, for all the different flavors you can use. It brings me back to my childhood! I am working on some holiday versions as well as also making a collection of NFL and other sport teams. You can find all of the puppy chow recipes here!
Now at some point in the process, you are probably going to think at least one of the following (if not all, like I did):
- There is NO WAY that little amount of candy melts will cover all this cereal!
- OH NO the cereal is BREAKING!
- WHY DO THEY ALL LOOK WHITE! I MESSED UP! I CAN’T SEE THE COLOR!
But it’s okay, all of the above are FINE. The candy melts DO cover that much cereal, just keep stirring. The cereal might break a little but that’s okay! Just be gentle. And the colors DO look pretty white when they come out of the bag. But shaking them in the fine mesh strainer gets rid of all that extra powdered sugar and you will see the color! Have faith!
I used a little crow I had for Halloween to represent the raven (close enough, right??) and it looks so cute! I would not recommend trying to use white chocolate with coloring in place of the candy melts. White chocolate is notoriously difficult to melt properly, especially for things like this, so you are better off getting the candy melts. Get purple candy melts here, yellow candy melts here, and black candy melts here. You can also find them at your local craft store.
- Place each color of candy melts in separate bowls that are large enough to mix the cereal in for each color (I like to use deep soup bowls).
- Place 1/3 cup powdered sugar in a quart or gallon sized resealable plastic bag.
- Melt the lightest color (yellow) of candy melts in the microwave as per package directions. Stir frequently to encourage melting.
- When fully melted, immediately mix in the Chex mix. (1 cup of cereal for the 1/2 cup of candy melts). Gently toss with a spoon to fully coat.
- Immediately transfer the cereal to the plastic bag with the powdered sugar. Seal and shake. Gently massage the bag from the outside to encourage the cereal to separate, but gentle enough so they do not break.
- Pour the bag contents into a sieve (fine mesh strainer) over another bowl. Shake to remove excess sugar.
- Pour the cereal out on a parchment paper or silicone baking mat lined baking sheet to dry. If there are any pieces that were stuck together, you can pull them apart, dunk them into the discarded sugar, and shake again.
- Let the candy melts that was left behind in the bag dry for a few minutes, then you can crinkle up the bag to remove the candy melts and make it ready for the next color.
- Repeat the process with the purple candy melts next, using 1 cup of Chex cereal and fresh powdered sugar.
- Repeat the process with the black candy melts next, using 1 cup of Chex cereal and fresh powdered sugar.
- Mix the colors together, or keep separate, and serve. The puppy chow can be stored in a container or bag for up to 2 days.