Classic black forest flavors of chocolate, cream, and cherries in a simple and Black Forest Tart,
This post contains affiliate links.
The black forest flavors of chocolate, cherries, and cream just go so well together. Loving tarts, I knew I needed to combine these flavors. Tarts like this Black Forest Tart are a great dessert for parties and entertaining because they feel a little fancy while being so simple. Find more of our tart and dessert recipes here!
I love to use a rectangle tart pan which you can find here! Square, long skinny rectangles, or the traditional circle pan shapes also work. This Black Forest Tart is simple to make and holds over well, so it is great to make in advance. I find it is best if it is given time to set up in the refrigerator.
To make the Black Forest Tart, first blend together the crust ingredients in a food processor. Press the dough into the tart pan and bake until just cooked through, about 10 minutes. Then mix the cream cheese filling and pour into the cooled tart shell. Add the cherry pie filling, swirl it in with a spatula, and top with chocolate chips or shavings and fresh cherries if desired. So simple!
You can use either cherry pie filling, fresh cherries, or a combination of both. Fresh cherries will be a little more tart. If you do not have a cherry pitter, you need one, it is amazing! In the past I would sit there hacking away at cherries, digging out the pits. I am not one to buy a lot of single-purpose kitchen tools, but I finally got a cherry pitter and I should have gotten one sooner. It makes pitting cherries SO much easier! You can get a cherry pitter online here!
Black Forest Tart
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sugar (granulated)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (or chocolate shavings)
- 1/3 cup cherry pie filling
- fresh cherries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Using a food processor, combine the powdered flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and butter. Blend just until the mixture forms a ball.
- Press the dough into the sides and bottom of a 9-10 inch tart pan. Pat to make the crust even.
- Bake the crust until it is just cooked through, approximately 10 minutes. You can test it with a toothpick like a cake. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Make the filling by adding the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in a small bowl. Beat until smooth.
- When the crust is cooled, spoon the cream cheese mixture into the tart shell and spread out evenly. It is important that the crust is cool so that the filling does not melt from the heat.
- Spoon the cherry pie filling into spoonfuls across the cream cheese mixture. Hold a spatula or butter knife vertically in the filling and gently drag it through the cream cheese, creating a swirl effect.
- Decorate with the chocolate chips or chocolate curls. (To make chocolate curls, use a peeler on a bar of chocolate). Chill until ready to serve.