Potato skins and buffalo chicken are staples at any game day party. These Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins combine both of those dishes into a fun finger food perfect for your event!
This post contains affiliate links.
I love combining different flavors and recipes into new ideas. Aren’t potato skins some of the best snacks for watching sports? They are such a classic appetizer and perfect for those homegating parties when entertaining family and friends. And potato-anything is a winner in my book, just like these Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins!
You can find detailed instructions on how to make the best potato skin shells here! It is my favorite technique as I found using baked potatoes were just too soft and difficult to work with. Plus my technique above is so much faster! The topping possibilities are endless! Now that I have a recipe for perfect potato skins, it is somewhat dangerous because they are so good! The potato skin shells are great to make in advance and then just refrigerate until you are ready to load them up and bake.
To make these gluten free (gf) Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins, spread some cream cheese into the bottom of each potato skin. I love to use the cream cheese because it helps cut the heat of the buffalo sauce and adds a creamy texture to the potato skins. Then load up the buffalo chicken and sprinkle the cheeses on top. Pop them in the oven at 350 to finish baking them off and to get the cheese melted, approximately 12-15 minutes. Serve them warm with your favorite sauces like sour cream or ranch dressing.
I hope these Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins are the perfect addition to your game day spread. What are your favorite appetizers or snacks to serve?
Find our collection of potato skin recipes here!
- 12 potato skin shells (see notes)
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 1/3 cup buffalo wing sauce (plus more or less, see note)
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup monterey jack cheese shredded (or mozzarella)
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles (optional)
- green onions for garnish, optional
- Make sure you have your chicken and potato skins ready to go. See notes for links to recipes for potato skin shells. Use any leftover chicken, shredded or chopped, or bake some until cooked.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Once your potato skins are prepared (see note below for recipe), place them skin side down on a large cookie sheet.
- Divide the cream cheese into each potato skin shell and spread across the bottom of each skin.
- In a small bowl, combine the chicken and 1/3 cup of buffalo wing sauce. Stir to combine and add more sauce as needed.
- Scoop the chicken mixture into each potato skin shell to the top of the potato skin. The exact size and shape of your potato skins will make the filling amount for each skin vary.
- Sprinkle each potato skin with the shredded Monterey Jack (or mozzarella) cheese and blue cheese crumbles (if using).
- Bake the potato skins until the cheese has melted and is starting to turn a light brown, approximately 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the potato skins from the oven and serve warm with sour cream, ranch dressing, or toppings as desired.