This Chile Lime Spicy Watermelon Margarita is a perfect summer cocktail! Fresh watermelon is blended with lime, tequila, and chile for a delicious Mexican cocktail.
This post contains affiliate links.
So I love a good margarita but honestly cannot stand most of the ones sold in restaurants because they are SO heavy on the sugar and fake ingredients. When a margarita is fresh and uses fresh fruit, I am in heaven. This Chile Lime Spicy Watermelon Margarita is a perfect tequila cocktail for the summer and Mexican meals like Cinco de Mayo cocktails.
You can make this Watermelon Margarita as spicy or mild as you want. Kick up the spice with extra chile power or hot sauce in the margarita itself, or eliminate the heat by removing all of the chile powder in the drink and salt rim. Regardless, the watermelon shines for a delicious summer drink recipe.
The chile powder also balances the sweetness from the watermelon and tequila. If you are not a fan of overly sweet cocktails, this is the variation for you! Plus it looks really pretty with the red-pink color and dark red rim with green fruit.
To Salt or Not To Salt
I am a HUGE fan of salt rims on margaritas. I just love the salty sweet kick and the more salt, the better. (I am also a salt lover in general). If you are not a fan of salt rims but still want the chile flavor, you have a few options.
- Add more chile powder to the drink itself
- Try to rim the glass with just a little chile powder and no salt
Regardless of your preference for salted glasses, you can still enjoy the same flavors that a flavored salt rim would bring.
I like to make the margaritas extra fancy looking with some fruit decorations as I call it (commonly known as garnish). Slice a few small wedges of watermelon or some circles or wedges of lime. If you want to get extra fancy, use a melon ball scoop to make small balls of watermelon that you can skewer on a toothpick or metal cocktail pick, or throw right in! Liquor soaked fruit is one of the great things about finishing a drink besides getting a refill!
Chile Lime Watermelon Margarita
- Put the tequila, triple sec, watermelon, juice of the limes, and 1 teaspoon of chile powder in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Cut the garnish lime into wedges. Run a lime around the rim of the glass to make it wet.
- Combine the sea salt and remaining 2 teaspoons of chile powder in a small, flat dish. Roll the edge of the glass into the salt mixture to make a salt rim.
- Fill each glass with ice. Pour the margarita into the glasses. Garnish with the lime and watermelon pieces if desired.