This Chocolate Peppermint Tart is ready in just 30 minutes and a fun dessert for the holidays! A cocoa crust is filled with a peppermint cream cheese filling and topped with crushed candy canes.
This post contains affiliate links.
My desire to bake always amplifies during the holidays. Pretty much as soon as the cooler weather hits and the holidays are in sight, I want to make a bunch of baked goods that are ignored the rest of the year. And because of this, I also like to use holiday flavors as much as I can. Peppermint is pretty much synonymous with Christmas and the inspiration for this Chocolate Peppermint Tart.
I like to make variations of this tart because it is so incredibly simple to make and tastes amazing, regardless of the flavors. I am a complete SUCKER for a chocolate crust, they are just the best and I love them. The crust is similar to a soft cookie but you can make it crunchy by using granulated sugar instead of powdered sugar in the crust. Personally, I prefer the softer crust but found by accident one day that granulated sugar made it crisp.
I love to use a rectangle tart pan which you can find here! Square, long skinny rectangles, or the traditional circle pan shapes also work. If you do not have a tart pan, you could also use a pie dish or any other type of baking dish.
- 2 candy canes crushed
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- sprinkles of choice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Using a food processor, combine the powdered flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and butter. Blend just until the mixture forms a ball.
- Press the dough into the sides and bottom of a 9-10 inch tart pan. Pat to make the crust even.
- Bake the crust until it is just cooked through, approximately 10 minutes. You can test it with a toothpick like a cake. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Make the filling by adding the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and peppermint extract in a small bowl. Beat until smooth.
- Place all of the candy canes in a resealable bag or in a clean towel, covered. Hit the candy canes with a rolling pin or something heavy to crush.
- Add half of the crushed candy canes and 1/4 cup white chocolate chips to the cream cheese mixture. Stir to combine. Adjust taste accordingly with more peppermint extract, candy canes, or vanilla.
- When the crust is cooled down (slightly warm is okay, just not hot) add the cream cheese mixture and spread evenly throughout the tart.
- Sprinkle the remaining crushed candy cane pieces, white chocolate chips, and sprinkles if desired across the tart.
- Chill until ready to serve.