I love some good side dishes at a BBQ and am always looking for pasta or potato salads that are not loaded down with mayo. When it is hot out, I want something relatively light and refreshing and this Greek Pasta Salad is one of my new favorite things! Seriously, you can find me at the refrigerator with a fork.I took all of the main components in a Greek salad and combined it with the idea of a pasta salad. I absolutely love this thing! When I was in Greece, the Greek salad truly is everywhere and it is not just something that another country made up like fettuccine alfredo. The Greek salads do not have any lettuce, but are rather a bowl of chopped tomatoes, cucumber, olives, feta, and onion with a light dressing. So amazingly good! This Greek Pasta Salad is also light and refreshing, full of the same familiar and complex flavors of the salads I had in Greece. YUM!
This pasta salad is a crowd pleaser and kid friendly side dish that can easily be made ahead. If it gets a little dried out while chilling, just add a little more olive oil and toss before serving.I absolutely love the crunch of the veggies and the absence of heavy cream or mayo sauce. This Greek Pasta Salad can easily be made vegan by skipping the cheese. You can very easily double or even triple the veggies to make it extremely low-carb and veggie heavy. But I am a pasta freak and need my noodles!My traditional Simple Macaroni Salad has always been a house favorite, but I have been on a new pasta salad kick lately, combining new flavor ideas into pasta salad form. Do you have any requests for a pasta salad that you want to see?
Greek Pasta Salad
- 1/2 pound pasta any shape, dried
- 1/2 cup cucumber chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion chopped
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved or chopped (or grape tomatoes)
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives (or black olives)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese chopped (approx 2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook the pasta as per package directions until al dente. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- While the pasta is cooking, dice the mix ins and make the dressing. Cut the cucumber, onion, tomatoes, olives, and feta.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl combine the oil, vinegar, mustard, oregano, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt. Whisk to combine.
- In the large pasta bowl, combine the pasta, vegetables, cheese, and dressing. Toss to coat.
- Chill pasta until ready to serve.