This Hatch Green Chile Cheddar Cornbread is a great wall to celebrate fall! Roasted Hatch green chile peppers are mixed with corn kernels and cheddar cheese in a cornbread.
This post contains affiliate links.
You should make this bread just for the smell that fills your house when it is baking. It smells AMAZING!
I could not wait to dig into this Hatch Green Chile Cheddar Cornbread, and waiting for it to cool was torture. I love that it has whole corn kernels in it for bursts of crisp corn flavor.
The cheddar is subtle which lets the corn and chile flavors shine.
I love Hatch green chiles and use them in as many recipes as I can! Find more green chile recipes here!
While the fresh peppers are my favorite, you can also find them in the freezer section of your grocery store or you can use the canned kind. You can find diced Hatch green chiles online here!
They come in different heat levels, so pick what you prefer. This bread would be great for game day or entertaining! Eat it plain or with some butter, or on the side with some Hatch Green Chili!
Making the cornbread is pretty simple. Mix together the dry ingredients, then add in the wet along with the peppers, corn, and cheese. Stir to combine then bake until cooked all the way through.
I prefer the bread loaf shape because I like the insides without an edge. You could also bake this in a flat pan or even muffin cups, whatever you prefer! Just adjust the baking time as needed until it is cooked all the way through.
A toothpick or cake tester inserted in the middle should come out clean (no batter, maybe some crumbs).
I can’t wait to make this Hatch Green Chile Cheddar Cornbread all fall long!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal yellow
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne) (more or less to taste)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (see note)
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 8 Tablespoons butter melted (1 stick) (cooled slightly)
- 4 ounces diced green chiles heat level of choice
- 1 cup corn kernels frozen
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400F with the rack on the middle shelf. Coat your baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, ground red pepper, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, brown sugar, and eggs.
- Fold the egg mixture gently into the flour mixture.
- Add the butter, green chiles, corn kernels, and 1 cup of the cheddar. Mix to just combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared dish and level the top. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top.
- Bake until cooked through and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (or with just crumbs), approximately 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the bread cool in the pan for approximately 10 minutes. Then remove from the pan and finish cooking on a wire rack.