Full of Mexican flavors, these Hatch Green Chile Chorizo Pinwheels are a quick and easy appetizer recipe!
This post contains affiliate links.
Hatch chile pepper season is in full swing in August and September, and I love to use the peppers in as many things as I can! Find more green chile recipes here!
I am lucky to live in a state where we see these fresh peppers by the truckload every year. But if you don’t have the fresh ones, canned works great. You can find diced Hatch green chiles online here! They come in different heat levels, so pick what you prefer. I like to use mild or medium, depending on what I am making and how many of them are in the dish.
Hatch Green Chile Chorizo Pinwheels make a great appetizer for entertaining and game day because they are so fast and easy to make. First, cook the chorizo sausage. Chorizo is a slightly spicy, seasoned Mexican sausage. You can also use any other kind of sausage that you like. Then make the cream cheese mixture, mixing in the diced Hatch green chiles. Spread the cream cheese on a tortilla and add the chorizo on top. Roll the tortillas up tight and chill. The chilling makes them easier to cut and they hold together better. Find more pinwheel recipes here!
These Hatch Green Chile Chorizo Pinwheels would be perfect for feeding a crowd, like for game day! You can make them in advance and they hold up well, making them a great option for gatherings.
- 2 large flour tortillas (wrap or burrito size)
- 1/4 pound chorizo sausage
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (or mozzarella)
- 2 ounces diced green chiles
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cook the chorizo over medium heat in a large skillet until cooked through. Set aside.
- Make the cheese mixture by combining the cream cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, green chiles, garlic powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- Spread the cheese mixture across both tortillas to the edges in an even, thin layer. I skip spreading to the right and left edges by about an inch because the ends will be thrown out.
- Sprinkle the chorizo across the cheese mixture and press lightly into the cheese.
- Starting from the bottom, gently but somewhat tightly roll the tortilla up.
- Chill the logs in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up, or in the refrigerator if waiting longer before serving. The chilling will make them easier to slice and create cleaner cuts without everything oozing out.
- When ready to serve, use a serrated knife to cut the log into half inch rounds (or as thick/thin as preferred). Discard the ends where the log is hollow (or snack on them!). Serve immediately.
4 thoughts on “Hatch Green Chile Chorizo Pinwheels”
Are they then served cold?
Yes, I serve them cold. You could serve them room temperature if you want but beware of how long they are out for food safety reasons. If they are heated, the cheese will melt out of them.
I love this recipe. Thank you.
I added my own salsa as well as doubled the recipe. Was a big hit at the last family gathering. Making it again for a class reunion picnic. Made it the night before so hopefully it keeps well in the fridge tonight.
Wonderful, Cindy! I love your tweaks. And yes, it will hold well overnight 🙂