Shake up movie night with this Homemade Chipotle Cheddar Popcorn! A simple cheesy, smoky flavoring with a little kick. Vegetarian and gluten free snack.
This post contains affiliate links.
Homemade popcorn is really pretty simple and fast. And I find that it tastes so much better than the bagged kind, without the preservatives, plus you can make fun flavors like this Homemade Chipotle Cheddar Popcorn!
This recipe for Homemade Chipotle Cheddar Popcorn makes 4 cups of popcorn, but you can easily whip up a large batch of the seasoning to have it ready to go when it is popcorn time! I like to keep mixed spices in spice containers that I have emptied.
Get chipotle chile powder here! You can also use regular chile powder, but it will not have the smoky flavor. I love to use this in enchilada sauce and other Mexican recipes, so it won’t go to waste!
To make Homemade Chipotle Cheddar Popcorn, first pop the popcorn. I like to do this on the stove by adding the kernels and some oil in a large stock pot. Heat over medium heat and let the popping begin! It only takes around 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile make the seasoning by combining the cheddar, chipotle, and salt. Adjust the flavor to taste, drizzle the popcorn with a little oil so that the seasoning sticks, plus the cheddar mixture, and stir.
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil (plus more for dressing)
- 2 Tablespoons popcorn kernels
- 4 teaspoons cheddar cheese powder (or nutritional yeast)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Cook the popcorn as per package directions, or as follows: Add the oil to a large, 3 quart or larger pot over medium heat. Add the popcorn kernels and cover, with the lid ajar.
- Shake the pot back and forth every few minutes. Remove from the heat when the popping has slowed and most kernels are popped, approximately 7 minutes. Set aside.
- While the popcorn is popping, make the chipotle cheddar seasoning by combining the cheese powder, chile powder, and salt in a small bowl. Mix to combine and adjust flavor to taste.
- When ready to serve, lightly drizzle the popcorn with approximately 1 teaspoon of oil. Just enough to wet the popcorn without it getting greasy or soggy. Stir to coat. Immediately sprinkle the seasoning on the popcorn and stir again to coat. Serve immediately.