These Mocha Pancakes with Coffee Glaze are a fun breakfast treat! Coffee chocolate pancakes are topped with a coffee glaze for a sweet and fun breakfast.
This post contains affiliate links.
Loving coffee has been a recent development, starting in college, but my love of coffee flavored things has always been strong! Not sure why the difference, but it is what it is. Things like coffee flavored ice cream are high on my list of preferred desserts. So incorporating coffee into a breakfast recipe seemed like a perfect marriage of flavor! And since chocolate and coffee go so well together, these Mocha Pancakes with Coffee Glaze were destined to be. Find more pancake recipes here!
These pancakes may sound like a sugar bomb, but there are ways to balance it. I was actually rather surprised at now NOT sweet they were. The chocolate pancakes are not very sweet if you use unsweetened cocoa powder (alternatively, for sweet pancakes, either use sweetened cocoa powder or increase the sugar). And the very slight bitterness of the instant coffee balances the sugar much like a mocha drink.
Pancakes are even better with some type of sauce or syrup or moisture in general, so making the coffee glaze brings a little sweetness while keeping the same flavors. The glaze definitely packs the sugar, sweet punch so if you make the pancakes extra sweet as well, you can expect an ultra sweet final product.
The chocolate coffee pancakes are definitely good, but the coffee glaze MAKES these pancakes and is my absolute favorite part! The pancakes are just not the same without it to me. Luckily the glaze is super fast and simple to make so it is easy to include it in the cooking process. I am now trying to find ways to use this glaze on anything and everything, so be on the lookout for more coffee inspired recipes in the future!
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup instant coffee
- vegetable oil for cooking
- 1 3/4 cups confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon instant coffee
- pinch salt
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the egg, butter, milk, lemon juice, and instant coffee in a medium bowl.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until just combined (some lumps is fine). Do not over mix.
- Add a teaspoon of oil to the skillet. Scoop 1/4 cup of the batter into the skillet for each pancake. Cook until bubbles appear approximately 2 minutes, and flip. Cook another 1-2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Repeat with more oil and batter.
- While cooking, make the glaze by combining the powdered sugar, milk, instant coffee, and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Serve the pancakes warm with the coffee glaze.