This Grapefruit Basil Relish is full of fresh flavors and makes a great condiment, dip, or topping!
This post contains affiliate links.
I am a huge fan of grapefruit, and this Grapefruit Basil Relish is delicious! It was much more tasty than I thought it would be. Something about the balance between the citrus and fresh herbs makes it pop. I could just eat this with a spoon, it is so good!
This Grapefruit Basil Relish makes a great topping for fish and chicken such as our Basil Grapefruit Grilled Swordfish Steaks. It would taste great with any white fish, or even salmon! Use it as a salsa or topping such as with our Grapefruit Orange Shrimp Tacos! The relish is just beautiful with the colorful pink and orange grapefruit, green basil, and red onion.
I was a little skeptical about using basil, but it is amazing! If you do not want or do not have basil, fresh mint would be a great substitute. This fruit salsa would also be good with orange or other citrus. Keep the chunks of the grapefruit a little larger than you want them, because as you mix it they will break apart some. It also holds over well in the refrigerator.
This would also be great as a healthy summer salad with the grapefruit mixture on top of some arugula. The pepper flavor of the arugula would be a great balance to the sweetness of the grapefruit. However you choose to eat it, with so many options this relish is sure to be a hit!
- 2 grapefruits
- 2 Tablespoons red onion finely diced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- black pepper
- Cut the top, bottom, and skin off of the grapefruit and then slice your knife right next to each segment to remove them, leaving you with just the flesh wedges (see picture).
- Cut the grapefruit wedges that you have removed into chunks (a little larger than you want, as they will break some with mixing) and place in a small bowl. Squeeze the "guts" (leftover white membrane from the grapefruit) of one grapefruit into the small bowl to get some of the liquid.
- Add the finely diced red onion, basil, juice of 1/2 lemon, and the olive oil to the grapefruit. Stir gently to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If too tart, add a little sugar as desired.
- Chill until ready to serve. Serve as a dip or use on top of proteins.