A simple, healthy, and fresh Patriotic Red, White, and Blue Fruit Salad perfect for your summer BBQs!
I am a big fan of themed foods for holidays and events. And most 4th of July recipes tend to be dessert. (Blue is difficult to find in foods!).
This Patriotic Red, White, and Blue Fruit Salad is a delicious sweet but healthy side for 4th of July, Memorial Day, or Labor Day.
I love berries and eat them just on their own, so I was hesitant to make a dressing for the patriotic fruit salad. This orange dressing is very easy and SO good! I was hooked when I added it to the fruit.
It only takes a few minutes to make this Patriotic Red, White, and Blue Fruit Salad. The cutting of the peaches is the longest step.
Look for white flesh peaches (or nectarines – they are similar) to get the white stars. The flavor of the white peach is a little crisper than a yellow peach.
Also try to find ones that are on the firm side and a little under ripe as they will be a brighter white and easier to cut and work with.
Cut the peach on one side into 1/4 inch slices and repeat until you get to the pit. Then repeat the slices on the opposite side.
You will have a good amount of peach flesh left, so either add it cut up to the salad or save it for later!
Use various sized star cookie cutters for the slices to get your stars. I used the largest cutter I could fit onto each slice. I had my 3 year old nephew help me with this – it is a great recipe to make with kids! Just be prepared for them to be eating fruit pieces along the way!
Modifications and Substitutions
You can also use apple in place of the white peaches, but they brown quickly so make sure to get them coated in the citrus and eat it soon after!
Raspberries would be a great addition.
More Red, White, and Blue Recipes
Patriotic Red, White, and Blue Fruit Salad
- Trim the strawberry tops off and cut into bite sized pieces (4 pieces for a typical strawberry). Add the strawberries to a large bowl.
- Add the blueberries to the strawberries.
- Cut slices off of a whole peach on one side, approximately 1/4 inch thick (or as thick as you want the peach stars to be). Repeat cutting sliced off of the opposite side of the peach. Repeat with all peaches.
- Use a star cookie cutter to cut out white stars from the slices of white flesh peaches. Add the stars to the fruit bowl. (You can choose to cut up the remaining pieces of the white peaches if desired to add to the fruit salad, or save them to use in other recipes or as a snack).
- Make the dressing by combining the orange juice, orange zest, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the fruit and toss to coat. Serve.