Patriotic Red, White, and Blue Puppy Chow made with gluten free rice Chex and colored candy melts. A muddy buddies recipe for USA Memorial Day, Labor, Day, and 4th of July featuring American colors.
This post contains affiliate links.
Candy melts cover rice Chex mix to make a fun, easy patriotic dessert snack recipe. I love puppy chow, also called muddy buddies, for all the different flavors you can use. It brings me back to my childhood! You can find all of the puppy chow recipes here!
Now at some point in the process, you are probably going to think at least one of the following (if not all, like I did):
- There is NO WAY that little amount of candy melts will cover all this cereal!
- OH NO the cereal is BREAKING!
- WHY DO THEY ALL LOOK WHITE! I MESSED UP! I CAN’T SEE THE COLOR!
But it’s okay, all of the above are FINE. The candy melts DO cover that much cereal, just keep stirring. The cereal might break a little but that’s okay! Just be gentle. And the colors DO look pretty white when they come out of the bag. But shaking them in the fine mesh strainer gets rid of all that extra powdered sugar and you will see the color! Have faith!
Candy melts are pretty sweet, but they provide the perfect color for colored puppy chow. I do not recommend using white chocolate and trying to color it, because white chocolate does not melt very well and it takes a lot of coloring to make bold colors. If these are too sweet on their own, you could mix them with something salty like little pretzels or peanuts. Get red candy melts here, yellow candy melts here, and bright white candy melts here. You can also find them at your local craft store.
I got these adorable glass star dishes at the dollar store, which was quite a find! And I am a lover of all things sparkle and glitter, so of course these glitter stars grace every patriotic holiday party. The little touches really drive home the red, white, and blue theme!
Delicious Red, White, and Blue Recipes for your patriotic parties and holidays! A fresh lemon Patriotic American Flag Fruit Tart with a soft crust and cream cheese filling. Homemade Patriotic Berry Sweet Rolls perfect for breakfast or brunch!
Red, White, and Blue Recipes
Patriotic American Flag Fruit Tart
Patriotic Berry Sweet Rolls
Delicious Red, White, and Blue Recipes for your patriotic parties and holidays!
A fresh lemon Patriotic American Flag Fruit Tart with a soft crust and cream cheese filling.
Homemade Patriotic Berry Sweet Rolls perfect for breakfast or brunch!
- 3 cups rice Chex cereal divided
- 1/2 cup red candy melts
- 1/2 cup royal blue candy melts
- 1/2 cup bright white candy melts
- 1 cup powdered sugar divided
- Place each color of candy melts in separate bowls that are large enough to mix the cereal in for each color (I like to use deep soup bowls).
- Place 1/3 cup powdered sugar in a quart or gallon sized resealable plastic bag.
- Melt the lightest color (white) of candy melts in the microwave as per package directions. Stir frequently to encourage melting.
- When fully melted, immediately mix in 1 cup of Chex mix. Gently toss with a spoon to fully coat.
- Immediately transfer the cereal to the plastic bag with the powdered sugar. Seal and shake. Gently massage the bag from the outside to encourage the cereal to separate, but gentle enough so they do not break.
- Pour the bag contents into a sieve (fine mesh strainer) over another bowl. Shake to remove excess sugar.
- Pour the cereal out on a parchment paper or silicone baking mat lined baking sheet to dry. If there are any pieces that were stuck together, you can pull them apart, dunk them into the discarded sugar, and shake again.
- Let the candy melts that was left behind in the bag dry for a few minutes, then you can crinkle up the bag to remove the candy melts and make it ready for the next color.
- Repeat the process with the red candy melts next, using 1 cup of Chex cereal and fresh powdered sugar.
- Repeat the process with the blue candy melts next, using 1 cup of Chex cereal and fresh powdered sugar.
- Mix the colors together, or keep separate, and serve. The puppy chow can be stored in a container or bag for up to 2 days.
2 thoughts on “Patriotic Red, White, and Blue Puppy Chow”
This is just the prettiest snack and perfect for a patriotic celebration. This will surely be a hit at a party.
Puppy chow is my favorite and this is such a fun and festive recipe for the 4th!! Thanks for the cute idea!