These Tuscan Creamy Mushrooms are an incredibly easy side dish perfect for an Italian inspired meal!
This post contains affiliate links.
It is easy to get into a side dish rut and make the same things over and over again. But I also love to find recipes that are easy, fast, and versatile.
These Tuscan Creamy Mushrooms are a great Italian vegetable side dish to put in the recipe rotation.
Finding a delicious vegetable recipe can be difficult. And I want everything I am eating to be packed with flavor without overpowering the other parts of the meal.
Most of the flavor for these Italian mushrooms comes from the garlic, Parmesan cheese, and sun-dried tomatoes. Use more of any ingredient to make them your own!
Not only does this make a great side dish, but Tuscan Creamy Mushrooms are also great used as a steak or chicken sauce! Just pour it right on top.
I prefer to use halved or quartered mushrooms that are cut into wedges rather than sliced mushrooms. This way, the mushroom holds more of their texture. But you can use any cut you like, and any mushroom you like.
I love crimini mushrooms, which are really just small, baby portobello mushrooms. White button mushrooms would be a great, easy substitute.
These mushrooms are based on our popular One Pot Creamy Tuscan Chicken. I just love the combination of Parmesan cheese, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, and garlic. To me, these are the flavors of Tuscany, Italy.
Sun-dried tomatoes come in many forms. My preference is to get the ones that are sliced in oil, and I keep them in my refrigerator. The oil they are packed in brings great flavor to so many dishes in addition to the tomatoes themselves. Fresh tomatoes would also be a great substitute.
No matter how you enjoy your mushrooms, the versatility of these Tuscan Creamy Mushrooms is a perfect reason to make them on a regular basis!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms (or white button)
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 Tablespoon cornstarch (or flour)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped or sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach (or 1 cup fresh)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cut the mushrooms in halves (or quarters for large mushrooms). When the skillet is hot, add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic powder, black pepper, and cornstarch. Stir to mix. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the milk, sun-dried tomatoes, and spinach and continue cooking over medium heat until the sauce is thickened and the mushrooms are as soft as desired, approximately 7 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.