This fast and easy Avocado Egg Salad recipe is a perfect healthy option for lunch and snacks! An egg salad without mayonnaise, this recipe highlights the flavors of creamy avocado with some Mexican ingredients. Gluten free, vegetarian, vegan friendly, keto low carb.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Avocado egg salad is a delicious and healthy twist on the classic egg salad recipe.
It incorporates ripe avocados to add creaminess and nutritional value to the dish. And this means you get an egg salad without mayonnaise!
This Avocado Egg Salad really ended up being like a Guacamole Egg Salad, as it uses most of the same ingredients that I use in my Homemade Guacamole recipe.
This recipe is vegetarian, gluten free, keto low carb, and can easily be made vegan by skipping the Greek yogurt or using a vegan substitute.
Avocado egg salad is not only a great way to use up hard-boiled eggs, but it’s also a nutrient-rich dish that provides a good balance of healthy fats, proteins, and vitamins. Enjoy it as a part of a balanced meal or snack!
Hard Boiled Eggs – I swear by cooking them in the Instant Pot with the 5-5-5 method: 5 minutes manual pressure cook, 5 minutes natural release, 5 minutes in an ice bath. They peel like a DREAM!
Plain Greek Yogurt – Adds a touch of creamy in addition to the avocado without mayonnaise! You could also use sour cream, or mayonnaise if you wish. Make it vegan by using a vegan substitute, or skipping altogether!
Fresh Cilantro – Optional, but adds great freshness. Could also be swapped for parsley or chives.
Lime Juice – Fresh is always best!
Super Easy Hard Boiled Eggs
I have tried SO many of the boiled egg tricks and none of them ever seem to work.
Until recently! I swear by cooking them in the Instant Pot with the 5-5-5 method: 5 minutes manual pressure cook, 5 minutes natural release, 5 minutes in an ice bath. They peel like a DREAM!
Here are some ideas on how you can enjoy this avocado egg salad recipe!
- As a sandwich filling: Spread it between slices of bread or stuff it inside pita pockets for a tasty and satisfying sandwich.
- With crackers or toast: Serve the salad with your favorite crackers or toasted bread for a quick and easy snack.
- On a bed of greens: Place the avocado egg salad over a bed of lettuce or mixed greens for a light and nutritious salad.
- As a dip: Pair it with vegetable sticks or tortilla chips for a delicious and healthy dip option.
Yes! Both egg and avocado are full of nutrition and bring light flavors to a dish. They are perfect together in an avocado egg salad.
This will vary with the exact recipe. You can find a full estimate of nutrition below in the recipe card for this egg salad.
Avocados are low in total carbs and are good for a low carb diet.
It is best eaten within three days.
Since avocado can oxidize and turn brown, it is suggested to store it like you would guacamole with plastic wrap directly across the surface to slow browning.
More Egg Salad Recipes
Avocado Egg Salad
- 4 large hard boiled eggs
- 1 avocado
- 2 Tablespoons plain Greek yogurt or mayonnaise, or sour cream
- 3 Tablespoons tomato diced
- 2 Tablespoons red onion finely diced
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice (1 lime)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro optional, or fresh parsley or chives
- Make sure your eggs are cooked, cooled, and ready to go.(I swear by the 5-5-5 Instant Pot method: 5 minutes manual pressure, 5 minutes natural release, 5 minutes ice bath – they peel like a dream!)
- Peel and roughly chop the hard boiled eggs as desired based on your preference.
- Cut open the avocado and remove the pit. Scoop the avocado flesh into a medium bowl, and mash the avocado.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Season to taste as desired.
- Serve immediately or chill until ready to serve. Use plastic wrapped pressed down onto the salad to prevent browning.