This sweet and savory Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is perfect as a snack, dessert, or breakfast!
Table of Contents
Moise Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Homemade banana bread is incredibly easy to make and considered a comfort food to many. This banana bread recipe has never failed me and is very forgiving, making it perfect for a simple baking recipe or beginner bakers.
This easy banana bread is perfect to eat just on its own as a snack or dessert. But it would also make a fabulous banana bread pudding!
I like to make a half batch of bread pudding with half a loaf of moist banana bread, and leave the second half of bread for snacking. Win-win!
What if my bananas for the Chocolate Chip Banana Bread are not ripe?
If your bananas are not ripe, no worries! Just place them in the oven while it is preheating to 350F and let them cook.
Their peels will get very dark and the bananas will turn soft, developing the sugars from the heat. It is an incredibly easy trick so you do not have to wait to make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread!
Here is what you need to make this banana bread recipe:
- Chocolate Chips
- Baking Soda
- Plain Yogurt (regular or Greek is fine)
I love making this chocolate chip banana bread with yogurt for the slight tang and brightness that it brings to the other flavors.
The secret to super moist banana bread
How do you make a super moist banana bread?
First, we are using melted butter which will absorb the flour well and make a smoother texture.
The yogurt also helps here because it adds additional moisture and flavor to the bread.
How to Make the Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Mix your wet ingredients together in a medium bowl.
In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
Once the oven is hot and ready, add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add the chocolate chips and briefly mix.
Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Top with the remaining chocolate chips.
Why is my banana bread chewy?
This can happen if you overmix the batter which develops too much gluten and makes it tougher than desired.
Just barely mix everything together until just incorporated (a few lumps is fine). And do not mix in advance – you want the oven ready to go when you mix the wet and dry ingredients together.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 bananas very ripe, mashed (1.5 cups)
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled (3/4 stick)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (or plain regular yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces chocolate chips (one bag)
- Preheat oven to 350F with the rack in the middle position.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mashed banana, butter, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla extract.
- Generously coat a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Gently fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture until it is just combined. Some chunks and streaks is okay, and it will be thick.
- Save 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips and set aside. Mix the remaining chocolate chips into the batter (approximately 1 1/4 cups).
- Spread the batter into the loaf pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle the reserved 1/2 cup of chocolate chips across the top.
- Bake in the oven at 350F until cooked through, approximately 50-60 minutes. A toothpick or cake pick inserted in the middle should come out with just a few crumbs.
- Remove from oven. Let the bread sit in the pan for 10 minutes, then flip out and let cool on a cooling rack complete, approximately 1 hour.