Hot Chocolate Pancakes are a great way to have dessert for breakfast! Chocolate pancakes are topped with a marshmallow sauce.
This post contains affiliate links.
These chocolate pancakes may sound like a sugar bomb, but there are ways to balance it. I was actually rather surprised at how NOT sweet they were.
The easy chocolate pancakes are not very sweet if you use unsweetened cocoa powder (alternatively, for sweet pancakes, either use sweetened cocoa powder or increase the sugar).
The marshmallow sauce, on the other hand, is definitely sweet.
The inspiration for these Hot Chocolate Pancakes came from the love I had for hot chocolate when I was a kid. I loved the warm, rich cocoa with soft marshmallows.
These homemade pancakes would be great for a special occasion breakfast, such as a birthday or holiday.
Making a marshmallow sauce is really easy!
Just melt some marshmallow fluff over low heat with a touch of water and it will turn into a smooth sauce. For a thick sauce, use a little less water.
And of course I love to top off the chocolate pancakes with cocoa powder, mini marshmallows, and a few chocolate chips. Just like a mug of hot chocolate!
The marshmallow sauce stays liquid for quite a while, so no need to worry about it hardening while eating.
And if you are loving the dessert pancake, you may also love our Mocha Pancakes with Coffee Glaze!
Hot Chocolate Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups marshmallow fluff (7.5 ounce jar)
- 3 Tablespoons water
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the egg, butter, milk, and lemon juice in a medium bowl.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until just combined (some lumps is fine). Do not over mix.
- Add a teaspoon of oil to the skillet. Scoop 1/4 cup of the batter into the skillet for each pancake. Cook until bubbles appear approximately 2 minutes, and flip. Cook another 1-2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Repeat with more oil and batter.
- While cooking, make the sauce by combining the jar of marshmallow fluff and water in a small saucepot. Heat over low heat until incorporated and melted into a sauce, approximately 5 minuts.
- Serve the pancakes warm with the mashmallow sauce and marshmallows.