Coconut Lime Chicken is a skillet dinner recipe ready in just 30 minutes! Chicken is browned and then added to a quick pan sauce of coconut milk and lime juice.
This post contains affiliate links.
Coconut Lime Chicken is one of those dishes that feels and tastes like it took much longer than it does. But it is so simple and quick! This chicken is great with our Coconut Lime Rice and you also might be interested in our Coconut Lime Shrimp! The rice can cook while you are working on the coconut chicken and everything is ready in less than 30 minutes.
It is best to use the canned coconut milk instead of the boxed kind as they are very different. The boxed version is essentially thinned out with water to make it more suitable for drinking, which means less flavor in the same quantity. I used to not be a fan of coconut, but realized it was coconut extract that had an artificial flavor that was not working for me. So I have been leaning into the coconut recipes world. Find more of our coconut recipes here!
This skillet chicken recipe is also dairy free, gluten free, and keto low carb which makes it a great option for dietary restrictions. The flavors are fun and different, which makes it a great way to shake up a meal plan with fun and unique food. If you are looking for a fast and easy chicken dinner recipe, with a lot of flavor, this is it!
- Melt 1 Tablespoon of the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Cook the chicken in the coconut oil until browned and cooked through, approximately 7 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Add the remaining coconut oil to the pan and melt. Add the garlic and cook until softened and fragrant, approximately 2 minutes (if browning faster, proceed to next step).
- Zest 2 of the limes and set the zest aside for later. Add the coconut milk, juice of the limes, and salt to the skillet. Stir to combine and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the cilantro if using and add the chicken back to the sauce (or serve sauce on side). Garnish with the lime zest and toasted coconut.