This Holly Jolly Christmas Cocktail is a warm spiked hot chocolate, perfect for winter and Christmas! Flavored with nut and butterscotch. Mocktail version available as well.
Spiked Hot Chocolate
If you are looking for a warm, decadent cocktail drink for the holidays, this is for you!
Perfect for Christmas and cold winter nights, this Holly Jolly Christmas Cocktail is something Santa would approve!
A warm hot chocolate base is mixed with some bourbon (or whiskey), nut, and butterscotch flavors.
And I have included a mocktail version as well for those wanting to skip the alcohol, or for kids!
I made this hot chocolate drink for family and it was a huge hit!
The flavors pair perfectly for the chocolate, and the alcohol is not strong which I guess makes it somewhat dangerous in being easy to drink!
And topping it off with some cold whipped cream with sprinkles gives a great texture and temperature contrast.
It would be a great treat for the kids to leave Santa on Christmas Eve alongside some Poinsettia Cookies.
Here is what you need to make this spiked hot chocolate:
- Hot chocolate
- Bourbon (whiskey)
- Nut liqueur (such as Frangelico)
- Butterscotch schnapps
- Whipped cream
First make your hot chocolate mix and have it warm, ready to go!
Combine the hot chocolate, bourbon, nut liqueur, and butterscotch together and pour in a mug.
Top with whipped cream and sprinkles if desired.
You can easily make this flavored hot chocolate as a mocktail without alcohol as well. Perfect for kids!
To do this, skip the bourbon (whiskey) altogether.
Replace the nut liqueur with a hazelnut coffee syrup.
Making the Hot Chocolate Base
Based on preference, you could make the hot chocolate with either milk or water as the base.
Milk is preferred as it will bring richness to the drink.
Powdered hot chocolate mixes work just fine here, but you could also choose to use solid chocolate or any recipe you prefer.
- 2 ounces bourbon (or whiskey)
- ½ ounce nut liqueur (such as Frangelico)
- ½ ounce butterscotch schnapps
- 8 ounces hot chocolate (as needed) (1 cup)
- whipped cream for topping
- Make your hot chocolate base as per package directions. (Milk is advised over water to add flavor and richness).The 8 ounces of hot chocolate listed in the ingredients is the prepared hot chocolate, after the mix is added to the liquid. Use more or less as desired.
- Combine the bourbon, nut liqueur, and butterscotch and add to the hot chocolate.
- Pour into a mug and top with whipped cream.
- For a mocktail without alcohol, skip the bourbon (whiskey). Replace butterscotch schnapps with a butterscotch syrup (either a dessert or coffee syrup is fine). Replace the nut liqueur with a nut coffee syrup.
Large Batch Instructions
- This drink can easily be made in a large batch by combining all ingredients in a slow cooker on the warm setting.