Asparagus Wrapped in Bacon is a great versatile side dish! Asparagus spears are seasoned and wrapped in bacon strips and then baked until tender and the bacon is crisp.
Table of Contents
Asparagus Side Dish Recipe
I love simple and flavorful side dishes that are versatile – and this recipe is perfect for that!
The fresh and bright flavors of the asparagus pair perfectly with salty, crisp bacon and some simple flavorings. And they look adorable all bundled up together!
And this asparagus side dish recipe is dairy free, gluten free, keto friendly, Whole 30, and Paleo which means it is great for accommodating multiple dietary needs!
Ingredients needed for asparagus bacon wraps
Here is what you need to make these bacon asparagus bundles:
- Vegetable Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Black Pepper
You can also get creative and add some other flavors like garlic powder, red pepper flakes, or even Parmesan cheese!
I recommend using vegetable oil or something similar like canola and not olive oil for a couple reasons.
Olive oil has a lower smoke point which means it burns faster. And I have also noticed that vegetables coated in olive oil do not crisp up nearly as well as those in vegetable oil.
How to make bacon wrapped asparagus
Trim the asparagus by removing the tough ends.
Toss them with the balsamic, oil, salt, and pepper.
Divide the asparagus spears into 6 portions and wrap a piece of bacon around each bundle. Wrap the bacon so that it spirals down the bundles, slightly overlapping.
Place on a baking sheet and bake until the bacon is cooked through and the asparagus is tender, approximately 20 minutes.
My bacon is not crisp enough but the asparagus is done
I recommend using thicker asparagus spears when possible since they take a little longer to cook
If your asparagus spears are done, but your bacon is not, I recommend covering the exposed asparagus (where there is no bacon) with tin foil and putting the bundles under a broiler.
Keep a close eye on it, but the broiler will help cook the bacon faster since it is exposed to the heat. And the asparagus will be mostly protected since it is covered with foil.
Just don’t use the broiler with a silicone baking mat, as it will burn!
Asparagus Wrapped in Bacon Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Trim the tough ends off of your asparagus spears. I like to do this by snapping each spear end off as it will break where the tough end stops. You can also snap just one and then cut all at the same place.
- Wash the asparagus and place in a medium bowl. Toss with the oil, balsamic, salt, and pepper.
- Separate the asparagus spears into 6 bundles. Wrap a piece of bacon around each bundle, slowly moving down the spears and not wrapped in the same place.
- Place the bundles on a baking sheet lined with foil or a silicone baking mat. Put them with the bacon seam side down to help keep it from unraveling.
- Bake the bundles until the asparagus is tender and the bacon is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- I recommend vegetable oil or something similar like canola oil, and not olive oil. Olive oil has a lower smoke point which means it burns faster when cooking plus I have noticed that vegetables coated in olive oil do not crisp up nearly as well as something like vegetable oil.