This Cod Pomodoro with Asparagus is an easy Italian seafood recipe packed with lots of flavor.
This post contains affiliate links.
I love a good one pot meal and this Cod recipe is a great gluten free, keto low carb Italian meal.
Plus, this recipe is ready in just 20 minutes which makes it a great healthy and fast option!
Fish recipes are great options for healthy and fast meals.
What is Cod Like?
Cod is a white, flaky fish. It has a very mild taste.
It should not smell nor taste strongly of fish.
Other Fish Options
Want to use something other than cod?
Other white, flaky fish will work as a substitute, such as grouper, mahi mahi, sea bass, or tilapia.
Two Cooking Options for the Fish
There are two ways you can cook the cod in this Cod Pomodoro with Asparagus.
I am a fan of getting a little color on the fish, so I go with the method listed in the recipe of searing the cod in butter for a couple minutes per side before making the sauce.
The other option is to eliminate cooking the fish before making the sauce and instead nesting the fish in the sauce and cooking it gently as it simmers.
You might need to add a little water or stock if you cook the fish in the sauce.
Both methods are great based on your preference!
Using Vegetables in the Sauce
I find asparagus to be a perfect compliment to this Cod Pomodoro with Asparagus.
Other great options of vegetables to include in the sauce are peas, carrots, pearl onions, or broccoli.
Even adding some spinach would be great!
What to Serve with the Cod
While this white fish recipe is great on its own, you can also serve it up with some of your favorite side dishes.
I love to cook extra asparagus or rice. Broccoli would also be great. And if you have time, a risotto is always a wonderful Italian addition.
Here are some more ideas for your sides!
- 1 pound cod 4 portions approximately 4 ounces each
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion chopped fine, approximately ¾ cup
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound asparagus trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- black pepper
- Dry off the fish with a paper towel and lightly season all sides with salt.
- Melt the butter in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- When hot, add the fish and cook for about 2 minutes until browning.
- Gently flip with a spatula and cook the second side, approximately 2 minutes more. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet.
- When hot, add the diced onion. Cook until lightly starting to brown, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the oregano, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook until fragrant, approximately 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, heavy cream, salt, and asparagus. Stir to combine.
- Nestle the fish back into the sauce and let it simmer for approximately 3-5 minutes until the fish is cooked through and flaky. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.