Celebrate the holiday season with these Peppermint Bark Rice Krispie Treats! Peppermint and chocolate are layered like a bark on top of rice krispie treats for a fun dessert or sweet snack.
This post contains affiliate links.
As pumpkin spice is to fall, peppermint chocolate is to winter and Christmas. It is pretty much impossible to avoid the winter season without being surrounded by peppermint and chocolate. I am a big fan of combining flavors in new ways, so these Peppermint Bark Rice Krispie Treats are a fun twist on classic flavors! Find more peppermint recipes here!
One of the things I love most about these rice krispie treats is that they are so incredibly simple but seem so fancy! Only a couple extra steps beyond a normal rice krispie treat and you have some delicious dessert snacks ready for the holidays. To make the peppermint treats, first melt the marshmallows in some butter with peppermint extract and crushed candy canes, mixed with the cereal. Then press into a pan and top with a layer of melted white chocolate with some more peppermint flavor. Once hardened, a final layer of chocolate is added with some crushed candy canes and sprinkles. So simple but so pretty! Get peppermint extract here!
If you REALLY want a strong peppermint flavor, add more extract or candy canes to any step in the process. Just keep in mind that the flavor strength of each component adds up for the final product. And these rice cereal treats are a great dessert for kids because they are something familiar, but still exciting. It makes 12 large pieces but you could easily cut them much smaller to make them go further. It is best to eat them as fresh as possible, or at least within a couple days when stored in an air tight container. If they last that long!
- In a large saucepot, melt the butter over low heat.
- When melted, add the marshmallows. Stir until melted, approximately 3 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract and stir to combine.
- Add the rice krispies and 2 of the crushed candy canes. Stir to combine.
- Immediately transfer the rice krispie mixture to a greased 9 by 13 baking dish. Press the mixture into the dish until level and spread out.
- Melt the white chocolate by placing in a bowl and microwaving on high for 1 minute. Stir and continue heating if needed in 15 second intervals, stirring in between, until fully melted. Stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract.
- Spread the white chocolate across the rice krispies. This is easiest with an offset spatula. Try to make it as even as possible.
- Let the rice krispies sit until the white chocolate is firm, approximately 20 minutes in the refrigerator. (This can also be done at room temperature but it will take a lot longer).
- Once firm, heat the chocolate chips in a small bowl in the microwave by heating on high for 1 minute. Stir and continue heating if needed in 15 second intervals, stirring in between, until fully melted.
- Spread the chocolate across the rice krispies with the offset spatula, again trying to make it as level as possible.
- Immediately sprinkle the top with the remaining crushed candy canes and any sprinkles as desired. Cool or let sit until firm. Cut into 12 squares.