This Watermelon Moscow Mule is a delicious summer twist on the classic vodka cocktail!
This post contains affiliate links.
Every summer I try to get as much watermelon as I can! One of my favorite ways to do this is to add fresh watermelon into cocktails.
I made some cute little watermelon balls to garnish these drinks which is really easy. Just use a melon baller to scoop into the watermelon before you cut and blend, and set the melon balls aside for later.
To make a Watermelon Moscow Mule, cut the watermelon into large chunks and blend with the lime juice until smooth. You can choose to strain the watermelon puree with a fine mesh strainer to remove any hidden seeds and the watermelon pulp, but I prefer to leave it in! I love the little bit of texture and volume that the watermelon “pulp” adds to the drink.
Then get your drinks ready! Pour the vodka over ice, add watermelon puree, and top it off with ginger beer.
What is the difference between ginger beer and ginger ale, and does it matter which one I use for this Watermelon Moscow Mule?
Yes, there is a difference. Ginger ale is more like a soda. It is much sweeter and lighter in the ginger flavor. Ginger ale is made by carbonating water and flavoring it.
Ginger beer has a much stronger ginger flavor and is made through a fermentation process. The ginger flavor comes off almost as a little spicy. I love using ginger beer instead of ginger ale exactly for this reason, because I love the strong ginger flavor and less sweetness.
Both ginger ale and ginger beer work well, so use whatever you prefer or have on hand!
Watermelon Moscow Mule
- Put the watermelon and juice from the limes in the blender. Blend until smooth.
- If desired, strain the watermelon mixture through a fine mesh strainer using a spatula to push it through. This will remove any rogue seeds and chunks of watermelon. This is recommended if you want a very smooth drink texture.
- Fill the glasses with ice.
- Pour 2 ounces of vodka into each glass over the ice.
- Pour the watermelon mixture into the glasses until 2/3 full.
- Top off with ginger beer. Stir to combine.