This White Chicken Lasagna Soup is everything you love about lasagna in a bowl!
This post contains affiliate links.
This soup came to me when I was trying to find a non-acidic, non-red meat soup idea.
And just like my Slow Cooker Beef Lasagna Soup, I knew a saucy Italian favorite in a bowl would be a great way to go!
I LOVE fall for reasons just like eating soup all the time! Cold weather recipes are just perfect to whip up and get cozy.
This White Chicken Lasagna Soup is on the heavier sides of soup. It is pretty rich so I like to serve it up either as a side or with something acidic.
Tomatoes, broccoli, or peas added at the end would be great additions to lighten it up!
The best part of this white chicken soup is the ricotta mixture on top!
I love it when the ricotta cheese starts to slowly melt into the soup. It brings a new texture and really brings home the essence of lasagna!
Personally, I keep the ricotta cheese mixture separate and for topping instead of mixing it in. But either way works based on what you love!
This chicken soup is also a great way to use up leftover rotisserie chicken or any leftover chicken with neutral or Italian flavors.
No lasagna noodles? No problem! Just use any shaped pasta that you like.
I am irrationally obsessed with the squiggle edge of lasagna noodles, so any excuse to use them, I do!
White Chicken Lasagna Soup
- 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (white button or crimini)
- 1 cup yellow onion diced (approximately 1/2 onion)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded chicken already cooked (rotisserie chicken is great)
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups fresh spinach (or 1 cup frozen)
- 4 ounces lasagna noodles (approximately 4 long noodles, or 1/4 box)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (or more to taste)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the oil to the pot.
- When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and onion. Cook until the onions are just translucent and the mushrooms have started to soften and release moisture, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to the mushrooms. Stir to combine and cook until fragrant, approximately 1 minute.
- Add the shredded chicken, chicken stock, and milk to the pot. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a simmer.
- Cook on a simmer (you may need to reduce the heat a little to keep it from boiling) for 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach, mozzarella, and Parmesan. Remove from heat. Stir until the cheese is melted in. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and cheese as desired.
- While the soup is cooking through the steps above, cook the noodles in boiling water on the stove in a second pot until al dente as per package directions, approximately 7-9 minutes.
- Remove the noodles from the water and cut in half lengthwise and then into manageable large bite sized pieces. (Approximately 12-14 pieces per full noodle).
- While the noodles are cooking, make the herbed ricotta by combining the ricotta cheese, fresh parsley, fresh basil, and garlic powder. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Add the cooked noodles to the soup and let them sit in the soup on warm for 5 minutes for the flavors to combine. If the soup is too thick, add some additional water or stock until you reach your desired consistency.
- Serve with the herbed ricotta, Parmesan, mozzarella, or cheese of choice on top.