This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #DogsLoveNutrishDISH #CollectiveBiasMy gumbo recipe is a favorite around here, so I have been thinking of ways to enjoy the same flavors in a new dish. This Blackened Cajun Chicken with Gumbo Rice does just that!
I always strive to make sure that our puppy is eating quality food as well. This is our “puppy,” McKinley! You may recognize him from a few other posts. He is part of the family and we want to make sure he is taken care of. He is loving Rachael Ray™ Nutrish® DISH! The DISH Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe is made with real U.S. farmed chicken, as the first ingredient, which is so important! The whole ingredients are safely cooked in the USA and are the world’s best ingredients.
You can find Nutrish DISH at your local stores or online, like Amazon!
Use the link below to grab your own coupon for $4 off of Nutrish DISH! The coupon is good through 2017 and can be printed twice. Not applicable online, must be used in-store. In addition to the chicken, there is also a beef and brown rice flavor for some variety!
Whenever switching your dog’s food, gradually introduce the food by incorporating it into your current dog food over the course of 7-10 days. Slowly replace your dog’s current food with DISH until it’s completely switched over.
Rachael Ray created Nutrish DISH with super-premium food inspired by her own recipes. It has also been expanded into the world of cat food! Nutrish for both dogs and cats are made with simple, wholesome ingredients like real meat and fish, with no poultry by-product or fillers. Have you heard of Rachael’s Rescue®? It was created for the forgotten pets that may not have as much love as they deserve. A portion of proceeds from every sale of Nutrish DISH is donated to the Rachael Ray Foundation to help animals in need through Rachael’s Rescue. This is very important to me because McKinley came from a shelter, and supporting rescue animals is a great cause! Through December 2016 they have donated over $17.5 million to charities and organizations to use on food, medical supplies, and more. So you are supporting a great cause as well!
This Blackened Cajun Chicken with Gumbo Rice is a great way to enjoy your own “human” version of chicken and brown rice while your puppy enjoys his or her Nutrish DISH.
First you will cover your chicken in Cajun seasoning, and sear it on each side to make a crust-like texture. This is the blackening process! When it is done on both sides, it should look similar to this. Remove the chicken from the heat and set aside.
Then you are going to saute the celery and onion, and combine the other ingredients in the skillet. Add the chicken back in on top, cover, and cook until the chicken is cooked all the way through, the moisture is absorbed, and the rice is tender. Depending on how dry your rice is, this will likely take around 30 minutes.
If you have brown rice that is already cooked, you are ahead of the game! You can use pre-cooked rice with the same ingredients, and just 1/2 cup of stock. Dinner will be ready much faster!
This Blackened Cajun Chicken with Gumbo Rice is packed full of flavor and a fantastic one-pot meal. With the classic flavors of gumbo, it reminds me of New Orleans! When I travel I love to eat, and I love to recreate food that takes me back to my vacation. What is your favorite vacation food memory?
- 5 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 4 chicken breasts (or thighs)
- 3-4 Tbsp ground Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 small white onion finely diced
- 1 rib celery finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1/2 Tbsp gumbo file (see note)
- 1/2 Tbsp ground Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 3-4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup okra cut in pieces
- 6 oz smoked sausage cut into 1/2" coins
- Heat 3 Tbsp vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- While heating, rub 3-4 Tbsp of the cajun seasoning on both sides of the chicken.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken to the skillet. Cook until browned and there is a little bit of crust from the seasoning, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Flip the chicken over and cook until there is a browned crust on the second side as well, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- To the same skillet, add an additional 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil.
- When heated, add the onion and celery. Cook until translucent, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, bay leaf, brown rice, gumbo file, 1/2 Tbsp additional cajun seasoning, and red pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the stock, okra, and sausage coins. Stir to combine. Add the chicken back into the skillet.
- Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked completely through and the rice is tender with most of the moisture absorbed. The exact time will depend on how dry your rice is, approximately 30 minutes. Add additional stock if necessary.
- Serve the chicken warm on top of some rice.
8 thoughts on “Blackened Cajun Chicken with Gumbo Rice”
Alas I don’t have a puppy – but I am totally into your recipe! Love the gumbo rice! Terrific idea!
Now I’m craving some cajun food! I bet this makes the whole kitchen smell amazing!
This dish looks fabulous! I love Rachael Ray! If I had a dog I would definitely buy her dog food.
This looks delicious! Love that it’s a one pot meal!
Yay for spoiled puppies! I have two, but I’ve never been so inspired by their dinner to make a version for myself. This looks super yum!
Love the look of this! I am a fan of anything chicken 😉
This looks really tasty!
I love Cajun food. All those flavours and textures sound absolutely sensational! Sharing this right now!