This Buffalo Chicken Cheese Dip is an easy way to enjoy the flavors of chicken wings in a creamy cheese dip. Perfect for football game day like the Super Bowl or entertaining.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
This Buffalo Chicken Cheese Dip was inspired by traditional buffalo wings with all the fixings.
I love having wings at our game day parties, especially football, but they are so incredibly messy! I swear, sauce and dressings end up everywhere.
This dip lets you have all of those amazing flavors in a compact, easy, and convenient way. It is a cheesier version of our Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip.
Cheese dips are seriously one of my favorite things when entertaining or watching a game. We are some big cheese lovers! And they are pretty popular with our family and friends. Win-win.
These are the ingredients you need to make the recipe:
- Cooked Chicken
- Cream Cheese
- Buffalo Sauce
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Sour Cream
- Green Onions
- Blue Cheese (optional)
Modifications and Substitutions
This gluten free Buffalo Chicken Cheese Dip is easily customizable! Want it spicy? Increase your amount of buffalo sauce or add some hot sauce in there.
Not a blue cheese fan? You can just leave it out all together.
I like to keep the heat level relatively mild in the house. Partially because not everyone can handle a lot of heat, but mainly because I like to pile on an abnormally large amount of dip on each chip.
And I really do not like my mouth being on fire, so making things mild is the best compromise.
I find that my oval baking dish, pictured here, is perfect for cheese dips! A lot of surface area for that crunchy, gooey cheese on top without being too large.
Need some more game day inspiration? Check out our Buffalo Chicken Cheese Bread and the rest of our Game Day Recipes and Posts!
- 1/2 lb cream cheese (8 oz), softened
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb chicken pre-cooked, shredded or cubed
- 1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles or chopped, optional
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese (or mozzarella)
- 1/4 cup green onions
- dippers of choice (see note)
- If your chicken is not pre-cooked, bake your chicken with salt and pepper at 350F until cooked through. Shred or chop the chicken and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, combine the softened cream cheese and garlic powder.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, buffalo wing sauce, and blue cheese crumbles. Add more wing sauce or hot sauce for more heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream and monterey jack (or mozzarella) cheese.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture into a small baking dish. Something skinny or narrow is best, such as a bread loaf pan or small oval dish such as the one in the picture. The larger the dish you select, the thinner the dip will be.
- On top of the cream cheese, spread out the chicken mixture.
- On top of the chicken, spread out the sour cream and cheese mixture.
- Bake the dip in the oven for approximately 5-10 minutes, or until the top cheese is melted and the dip is heated through. Top with green onions and additional buffalo sauce. Serve immediately with dippers of choice.
6 thoughts on “Buffalo Chicken Cheese Dip”
Thank you for your permission to omit the blue cheese. That’s always my first question as a blue cheese-hater. 😉 This looks so good. I love a good slightly spicy chicken dip, and anything that helps cut down on the mess of game day parties is a keeper!
Got it! Grabbing a roasted chicken, cheeses, chives, spices AND celery for a dipper! THANKS!
This dip sounds and looks incredibly delicious! YUM!
It’s hard to have a game day party without the buffalo wings, and turning it into a dip is a great way to keep things neat without having to go without.
I just need some chips to dig in. It looks really delicious. YUM!
Yum! That looks delicious