This Hummus with Red Pepper is ready in just minutes! A delicious homemade hummus that is great to serve up as an appetizer or snack.
This post contains affiliate links.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus is a classic for a reason!
The smoky, sweet flavor from the red peppers is a delicious way to flavor a classic hummus dip.
Should I Remove the Bean Skins?
This is a complete personal preference.
I like the texture of the garbanzo bean (chickpea) skins, plus the added nutrition, so I leave them on.
You can remove them if you want the hummus ultra smooth, but I find it tedious.
Tahini or No Tahini
Hummus traditionally uses tahini paste.
What is tahini? It is a paste made from toasted sesame seeds. Very similar to a thick peanut butter.
And tahini is very common in a traditional hummus.
I typically will use and add tahini if I have it, but I made this hummus without tahini because the flavors of the red peppers are strong and you will not taste the tahini anyway.
You can add it if you want to! A Tablespoon will work. You can find it either near the peanut butters or in the ethnic section of your grocery store.
Roasted Red Peppers
I like to use jarred roasted red peppers for this hummus with roasted red peppers because they are SO much easier than roasting and peeling your own.
But if preferred you can roast your own peppers, let them steam, and peel them before making the dip.
The peppers make this red roasted pepper hummus sweeter than most but a great way to balance sweet and savory flavors.
I think two peppers is perfect for this roasted pepper hummus, but use more or less as desired.
- Add all ingredients except for half of one of the peppers to a food processor.
- Blend until you get the consistency that you want. Add more oil or water to make it thinner if desired.
- Season to taste with the salt and black pepper.
- Cut up the reserved 1/2 pepper into small chunks. Mix into the hummus or sprinkle on top.
- Chill until ready to serve. Great dipper options include celery, carrots, crackers, tortilla chips, and pita bread.