Buffalo Wing Hummus is a perfect healthy snack recipe for game day! Using the same popular Buffalo wing flavors, this easy dip is ready for your Super Bowl party.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Wings are a classic snack during football games. But everyone seems to bring indulgent snacks to the game and I find myself looking for some lighter and healthier options beyond a boring vegetable platter.
This Buffalo Wing Hummus is a great way to get some of those classic game day flavors in a healthier dish!
These are the ingredients you need to make buffalo hummus:
- Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas)
- Buffalo Wing Sauce
- Roasted Garlic
- Blue Cheese
- Tahini (optional)
- Olive Oil
Roasted Garlic – The first step in the recipe card below includes instructions on how to make a quick roasted garlic. But I like to make a large batch to have on hand for lots of recipes using my Roasted Garlic recipe.
Tahini – Tahini is a sesame seed paste classically used in hummus. It is completely optional here as you will not taste the difference if it is missing from all the other ingredients! Tahini is typically used for flavor in hummus.
This is the equipment you need to make the recipe:
One thing I love about hummus is how fast and simple it is to make.
Just throw all the ingredients in a food processor, blend, and you are good to go!
Top the humus with some more cheese and sauce, and then serve with dippers.
Modifications and Substitutions
You can also try it with a blender however I have found that it can be difficult to get the hummus smooth.
Not a fan of blue cheese? You can skip it or use a different cheese like feta or Monterey Jack.
If you do not have a food processor, you need one! I have two and I use them ALL the time.
They can do so many things: shredding, slicing, blending, etc. We buy brick cheese and it is shredded in seconds. I could not live without mine!
I personally LOVE blue cheese, so I load up my Buffalo Wing Hummus with a lot of it. If you are on the fence, try a better quality blue cheese and not the stuff that comes pre-crumbled.
This can mean you need to blend it a little more to break up the ingredients and make it smoother.
If too thick, add a little bit of water until you get the creamy consistency you want.
This hummus is packed with a lot of amazing wing flavors for an exciting flavor.
You can adjust the flavor to taste with more buffalo wing sauce, salt, or any other ingredient as desired.
Pita bread is a classic dipper for hummus.
This recipe is also great with carrots, celery, or chips just like buffalo wings!
The texture is a personal preference.
I prefer mine a little chunky which means I blend it a little less.
If you want it smooth, blend it longer and add a little water if needed.
- 1 can garbanzo beans drained
- 4 cloves roasted garlic (see Step 1 if you have regular raw garlic)
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons tahini paste (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon hot wing sauce (different from hot sauce)
- 2 Tablespoons blue cheese chopped
- If you do not have roasted garlic: Put garlic cloves with the skin still on in a nonstick skillet and heat over medium low heat. Roasting the garlic will take approximately 40 minutes. Rotate the cloves every 10-15 minutes so that they are roasted on all sides. Set aside to cool. (You can also use raw garlic, reduce to 2 cloves).
- When garlic is cool enough to handle, peel the skins off the cloves. Add the garbanzo beans, garlic, lemon juice, salt, tahini, olive oil, and hot wing sauce to food processor.1 can garbanzo beans, 4 cloves roasted garlic, 1/2 lemon, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 Tablespoons tahini paste, 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 Tablespoon hot wing sauce, 2 Tablespoons blue cheese
- Put the lid on and process until you reach your desired consistency, approximately 10-15 seconds. If the mixture is too thick, add water 1 Tbsp at a time and process briefly to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning, including hot wing sauce, to your liking.
- When complete, use a spatula to put the hummus in a bowl. Add the blue cheese crumbles and stir to incorporate. Garnish with additional blue cheese crumbles if desired. Refrigerate for one hour and serve chilled with pita bread, carrots, and celery.