This Instant Pot Shredded Beef Barbacoa gives you amazing flavors of low-and-slow cooked beef in a fraction of the time! Perfect to use for your favorite Mexican recipes.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Making beef barbacoa is one of my favorite things when I am in the mood for Mexican food!
It tastes amazing in anything you want to use it for! Tacos, burritos, and Shredded Beef Enchiladas!
This beef recipe is full of flavor and one of the best things about it is that you can make it in a pressure cooker such as an Instant Pot! This means super fast cooking!
You can also find slow cooker instructions with our Shredded Beef Tacos recipe.
These are the ingredients you need for this shredded beef:
- Chuck Roast
- Yellow Onion
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Chili Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Ground Coriander
- Bay Leaves
This is the equipment you need to make this recipe:
Using an Instant Pot
I love a good kitchen gadget but am particular about what I will buy – I have so much stuff and do not need clutter for the sake of clutter!
What I love about the Instant Pot is how you can use it for so many things, and speed up the cooking time of foods. Just like this beef recipe!
This pot will allow you to cook things much more quickly while still being tender by using pressure.
First turn on your Instant Pot to sauté and let it heat.
Add the oil and then the chuck roast. Sear on both sides until it is browning.
Add the remaining ingredients.
Turn the sauté function off.
Put the lid on and turn on the manual (pressure cook) mode set for 1 hour (for roasts up to 3 pounds).
Let the pot come to pressure and cook.
When done, manual release the pressure. (Natural release is just fine too and will do nothing but ensure it is incredibly tender!)
Remove the beef, and remove any large chunks of fat. Shred in a stand mixer or with forks.
Remove the bay leaves.
Mix the beef with the onions from the pot and as much or little sauce from the pot as desired.
Use in your favorite Mexican recipes!
Modifications and Substitutions
The coriander has great flavor but if you do not have it on hand, you will be fine without it.
Cayenne adds just a touch of heat. If you are worried about heat you can skip it completely, but this recipe is built to be on the mild side.
Alternatively, if you want it spicy, increase the cayenne!
Chuck roast is perfect! It has a good amount of fat for cooking down well without being too fatty.
For a roast 2-3 pounds, cook for an hour.
A 4 pound roast should be cooked for 80-90 minutes.
It is much easier to shred beef when it is hot or warm because the fats are all still loose.
It is still shred-able when cold, but much stiffer.
- 3 pounds chuck roast
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large yellow onion sliced
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes (one large can)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon1 chili powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 Tablespoon ground coriander (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 bay leaves
- ½ cup water
- Heat your Instant Pot to sauté.
- When hot, add the oil and then the chuck roast. Sear for 2-3 minutes per side until browning.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the pot.
- Turn off the sauté feature.
- Put the lid on the pot, lock, and switch to manual pressure and set for 1 hour.
- Let the pot come to pressure and cook. Once done, you can open the valve for manual release or let sit on natural release if desired.(Natural release is not needed but will not harm it and if anything, make it more tender!)
- When done cooking, remove the beef from the slow cooker.
- Trim off any excess fat if desired and place the meat into the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Turn on medium speed to shred the beef, which will only take a few seconds.(Alternatively, you can do this with forks even within the pot itself or on a cutting board).
- Mix the beef with as much of the sauce from the pot as desired, including the cooked onions. Remove the bay leaves. Serve or use in any recipe as desired.