Pumpkin Bread Pudding is a fantastic pumpkin dessert recipe perfect for fall!
This post contains affiliate links.
Fall is my absolute favorite season. Something about the crisp air, comforting food, soups, and of course warm spices like pumpkin spice make me so happy. I just want to curl up with a blanket, coffee, and delicious food. This Pumpkin Bread Pudding is filled with fall flavors and a great way to warm up and enjoy the season.
While pumpkin spice lattes may be popular, I love using the flavors of pumpkin spice in different recipes. It is a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. The warmth of these spices is what makes them perfect for fall baking and cooking. Find more pumpkin spice recipes here!
This pumpkin dessert recipe is made by tossing bread in a mixture of pumpkin puree, cream, milk, chopped pecans, and spices. I love using pumpkin bread or pumpkin spice bread for extra fall flavors, but you can use any bread you want or have. 8 cups might seem like a lot, but in such large cubes, a loaf from a 9.5 inch baking dish was perfect. The Pumpkin Bread Pudding can be assembled and kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before baking if desired, but it is so fast to put together that I normally make it right when I need it.
The bread soaks up a lot of the custard mixture and makes a soft texture. I like to add the pecans for a little crunch, but you could leave them out or sub them for another nut like walnuts. This would also be great by adding some dried fruits in the mixture like cranberries.
Serve it warm with some ice cream, whipped cream, caramel sauce, or anything else you can think of!
- 8 cups pumpkin spice bread cut into 1.5 inch cubes (a 9.5 inch loaf works well)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup bourbon optional
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Cut the bread into 1.5 inch cubes. Set aside.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add the bread and toss to coat.
- Coat a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Pour the bread pudding mixture into the dish. Cover and let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Bake the pudding on the lower middle rack until it is golden brown and puffing up around the edges, with a slight jiggle in the middle, approximately 45-50 minutes.
- Let cool for 30-45 minutes before serving warm. Top with additional pecans if desired. This pudding is great served with whipped cream or ice cream.