These Citrus Chicken Fajitas on the Grill are one of the most popular things that people ask me to make!
Chicken is marinated in a citrus sauce and then grilled with bell peppers and onions for a delicious and fresh Mexican recipe.
These Citrus Chicken Fajitas on the Grill are one of my favorite things to make!
I love how light and fresh grilled fajitas can be while also packing a lot of flavor and filling you up.
One of my favorite lighter Mexican dishes to make is this recipe for Citrus Chicken Fajitas.
The marinade gives these fajitas a great tang and all of the fresh ingredients shine.
It is amazing how great just a few ingredients make this dish taste. This would also taste great with some grilled shrimp! (But shrimp only need 15-30 minutes to marinate depending on size).
How to Serve Chicken Fajitas on the Grill
There are many ways you can enjoy these Citrus Chicken Fajitas on the Grill.
My absolute favorite is eating them in burrito form with rice, beans, and all the toppings you can dream of.
They also make great Citrus Chicken Fajita Tacos, or eat them as a burrito bowl.
Low carb? Eat them as is or in lettuce wraps.
There is a lot of flexibility in this dish and ways for each person to customize their own.
I love using my Green Chile Rice with the fajitas because it has a great subtle flavor that does not detract from the chicken and peppers.
This is perfect for any picky eaters that you may have because you can lay out all of the ingredients and toppings and let them go at it.
I love to use extra peppers and onions on mine, where my husband loads up on the chicken.
Citrus Chicken Fajitas on the Grill
- 3 bell peppers (any color, can also use some Poblano for a mild heat)
- 2 medium red onions
- In a ziploc bag or covered dish, combine the chicken, lime juice, orange juice, jalapenos, cumin, garlic powder, and salt. Let chicken marinate in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours. (You do not want to let it marinate overnight because the acid in the citrus will start to cook the chicken).
- If you are serving these with rice, start the rice now. Try the Green Chile Rice below, this is what I use!
- Preheat grill to medium high (around 400F).
- Place your bell peppers, while, on the grill. Trim the onions and cut into quarters. Place the onions on the grill. Continue rotating the onions and peppers on each side, approximately 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade. Grill for approximately 3 minutes. Flip and continue grilling until cooked through, approximately 3 minutes longer. (This can be done at the same time as the peppers).
- Slice chicken into strips. Cut the peppers and onions into strips, removing seeds, stems, etc.
- Serve with toppings, tortillas, lettuce, etc as desired.