This Chicken Fajita Casserole is ready in just 30 minutes! A creamy, cheesy casserole packed with chicken, bell peppers, onions, cheese, and classic fajita flavors.
This Chicken Fajita Casserole is inspired by my Citrus Chicken Fajitas!
I love making fajitas, but wanted to make an alternative option that was faster and easy for busy nights.
I am a big believer in modifying ingredients as you need to for what you have or can get.
For this Chicken Fajita Casserole, I like to use chicken breasts but any cut of chicken works. Just remove bones and skin before baking.
You could also use any cut of chicken and leave them whole, with the rest of the ingredients mixed in.
Any color of bell peppers work. I like to use a green and a red (or yellow/orange) to balance out sweetness with crispness.
Red onion is also my go-to because it has a little extra sweetness and less sharp, spicy flavor, but any colored onion is fine.
I love that this chicken casserole recipe is saucy!
I am a sauce lover, and that sauce can also be used to serve on top of rice or vegetables.
Serve it up with your favorite toppings like lime wedges, pico de gallo salsa, or cilantro.
Spice it up!
This Chicken Fajita Casserole is what I would call a mild heat (unless you are using rather spicy chili powder!).
If you are a heat lover and want something more in the medium to hot range, you have a few options!
- Add more chili powder (1/2 to 1 Tablespoon)
- Add cayenne pepper
- Add hot sauce
- Add jalapeno peppers along with the bell peppers
All of these options can be added to the cheese mixture as desired based on your preference.
Just keep tasting the cheese mixture until it is where you want it!
Need to accomodate a crowd?
I always like to keep things in the mild range and then offer hot sauce and hot salsas for those that want to add it while keeping everyone happy!
This Chicken Fajita Casserole cooks quickly in the oven in less than 30 minutes which makes it a great weeknight meal.
You could also turn this into a slow cooker crock pot recipe. Just add all of the ingredients into the slow cooker with the cheese on top and let it cook on low for 6-8 hours.
This is great for when you want to make something in advance with no fuss at meal time.
If needed, add a little water or stock to the casserole if it thickens too much.
Some of our most popular chicken recipes!
- Baking dish
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds chicken breast
- 2 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 small red onion
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or colby, or monterey jack, or pepperjack)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise. (If the sour cream is not softened, microwave in the bowl in 30 second increments until it is mainly mixable).
- Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, and salt into the cheese mixture. Season to taste as desired, including more heat from either chili powder, cayenne powder, or hot sauce.
- Cut the chicken into 1 to 1.5 inch pieces and add to the bowl.
- Cut the bell peppers and onions into strips (like you would for fajitas) and then bite sized pieces and add to the bowl.
- Add 1 cup of your shredded cheese to the bowl.
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
- Spray an 8×8 (or larger) baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Pour the chicken mixture into the dish and level out.
- Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese (or more!).
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through, approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings like salsa, pico de gallo, avocado, etc.
6 thoughts on “Chicken Fajita Casserole”
Tasted amazing! Great recipe
This was so good and comforting. Perfect for cozy dinners!
Awesome and tasty dish! I’m new to the cooking world and this was really easy to follow.
So glad to hear it, Jared!
I don’t like mayonnaise. Can I leave it out or substitute with something???
Yes! You could just leave it out. Or use sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.