Creamy Greek Tzatziki Pasta Salad is full of fresh Mediterranean flavors without mayonnaise. A light, healthy, and fresh side dish recipe perfect for a summer cookout or grilling side.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Creamy Greek Tzatziki Pasta Salad is perfect for summer picnics, potlucks, or as a light and satisfying meal on its own.
It is a wonderful fusion of Mediterranean flavors and textures, offering a balance of creamy, tangy, and fresh elements in every bite. Feel free to customize the ingredients and proportions to suit your taste preferences.
The flavors of cucumber and lemon really shine through and I now find myself making tzatziki on a regular basis. This pasta recipe is vegetarian and a great healthy option, and gluten free with a gluten free pasta swap. Find our collection of tzatziki inspired recipes here!
You can find full quantities and instructions in the full recipe card below.
The basics of tzatziki is plain Greek yogurt mixed with lemon, cucumber, dill, and garlic and it is just SO GOOD!
Use more or less of any mix-in ingredient as desired.
These are the ingredients you need for this Mediterranean pasta salad:
- Pasta – shape of choice. Note that the more edges a pasta shape has, the more sauce you will need to coat it.
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Lemon Juice
- Tomato – I prefer to use a Roma tomato or cherry tomatoes as they have minimal seeds
- Kalamata Olives – these are the classic variety to use for Greek food
- Red Onion
- Feta Cheese
- Fresh Dill – You will only need approximately a tablespoon of chopped fresh dill
- Olive Oil
I made this Creamy Greek Tzatziki Pasta Salad with a healthy spin by using plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream or mayonnaise.
With a pasta salad without mayonnaise, you still get the same creamy effect but the seasonings and flavors you mix in cover up any yogurt flavor. It is a great way to put a healthier spin on a pasta salad.
You can also add other mix-ins as desired, such as marinated artichoke hearts and even a splash of red wine vinegar for some tang!
To make the Creamy Greek Tzatziki Pasta Salad, cook the pasta as per package directions until al dente (not too soft).
Let it cool in a sealed container for at least 30 minutes, ideally a longer period of time to make sure it is cold.
Make the tzatziki dressing and get all of the mix ins chopped. You can use any tzatziki sauce you like, but here is our Greek tzatziki yogurt sauce recipe.
When you are ready to serve, mix it all together.
It is best not to mix the sauce with the pasta more than a few hours in advance so that the pasta does not absorb moisture, which leads to a dryer pasta salad and overly soft pasta.
This pasta tzatziki salad is easy to make in advance, perfect for a grilling party!
Use more or less of any ingredient as desired for the macaroni salad!
Sometimes I add a splash of water to loosen up the tzatziki sauce. If it seems like the sauce is not spreading well, try this!
Cooking the pasta to al dente is KEY for it not being too soft.
If making in advance, chill the sauce separate from the pasta and mix-ins so it does not get overly absorbed.
A classic Greek salad is made with tomato, feta cheese, cucumber, onions, cucumber, olives, and sometimes bell pepper.
We use these classic ingredients as the base for this Greek pasta salad!
Greek pasta salad is good up to 5 days in the refrigerator, although best up to three days.
You can, but it is not necessary. Rinsing will help it cool down and also remove the starches.
Pasta salad tends to be best the day of as the sauce has not been absorbed into the pasta too much.
Yes, however it is best to store the sauce separate from the pasta so it does not get too dry and the pasta too mushy from absorbing moisture.
More Greek Inspired Recipes
Creamy Greek Tzatziki Pasta Salad
- Make your tzatziki sauce if it is not already made. Shred the cucumber and mix with the remaining sauce ingredients. Chill until ready to use.¼ cucumber, ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt, ½ Tablespoon fresh dill, 1 clove garlic, 1 Tablespoon olive oil, ½ lemon, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Cook the pasta as per package directions in salted water until al dente (not too soft, still with some bite to it).1/2 pound shaped pasta
- Cool the pasta in a container in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Chop all of your mix-ins (tomatoes, cucumber, olives, onion). These can be added to the pasta container or kept separate.1 roma tomato, 1/2 cucumber, 1/4 cup kalamata olives, 2 Tablespoons red onion
- When ready to serve, mix the pasta, mix-ins, and tzatziki sauce together. Adjust seasoning and ratio as desired. Serve chilled.1/2 cup feta cheese