Chai Sugar Cookies are full of spice and flavor in a soft homemade cookie!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
If you love the flavor of chai tea, you will love these cookies!
Soft and buttery sugar cookies are infused with a homemade chai spice blend for lots of warm flavor.
These are the ingredients needed for chai cookies:
- Vanilla Extract
- Chai Spice
- Baking Powder
The equipment you will need for this recipe includes:
- Stand Mixer (or large bowl and hand mixer)
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Small Bowl
- Baking Sheets
- Silicone Baking Mats
- Medium Cookie Scoop
Mix your dry ingredients together.
In a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar.
Add the eggs one at a time followed by the vanilla extract.
Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
Portion out the dough and roll in additional sugar.
Bake until just cooked through, about 12 minutes.
Modifications and Substitutions
It is best to use a chai spice mix and not a chai tea, but the tea blend can work in a pinch.
Want a crisp cookie? Make the cookies thinner before baking and cook longer.
Making your own homemade chai spice is so easy!
Use a cookie scoop for fast and even portioning! They come in different sizes including a 1.5 Tablespoon Medium cookie scoop that is perfect for this recipe.
Chai is a blend of spices originating as a hot drink. The exact spice ingredients vary, but typically is made with cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and similar spices.
Chai’s primary flavors are cinnamon and cardamom. Cardamom has a piney, fruity, spice flavor and very similar in warmth to allspice, cinnamon, and similar spices.
- Preheat oven to 350°F with a rack in the middle position.
- Line two baking sheets with either silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, chai spice, baking powder, and salt.2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt, 2 Tablespoons chai spice
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or large bowl with hand mixer) on medium speed beat together the softened butter and 1.5 cups sugar until well incorporated, 4-5 minutes.14 Tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 ½ cups sugar
- Add the vanilla and eggs, one at time, to fully incorporate, about 30-60 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 2 large eggs
- Slowly add the flour mixture while mixing to incorporate.
- Scoop approximately 1.5 Tablespoons of dough and shape into a ball.(I like to use a cookie scoop that is this size for ease).
- Once in a ball shape, gently press to make a disk approximately 3/4 inch thick.
- In a small bowl, mix together the coating ingredients of the remaining sugar and chai spice (optional but great for more chai flavor).½ cup sugar, ½ teaspoon chai spice
- Roll the dough disk in the small dish of sugar and chai to fully coat.
- Place the sugar coated dough disks on the baking sheets approximately 2 inches apart (about 12 per sheet).
- When the first sheet is full, bake in the oven for approximately 12 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet half way through.Continue making the cookies for the 2nd sheet while the 1st is baking. You may need a third sheet, or can squeeze more onto the 2.(Cookies can also all be baked at the same time, but I find this to be overall faster).
- Let the cookies sit on the sheet for 7-10 minutes before removing and finishing cooling on a cooling rack.
- Store in an air tight container for up to a week.
- For crispy cookies, cook longer. You can also press them thinner before baking.