This Hatch Green Chile Queso Fundido is a fast and delicious appetizer or game day recipe packed with cheese and Hatch chile peppers!
This post contains affiliate links.
I love cheese and am also obsessed with Hatch chile pepper recipes. So once I discovered queso fundido, I know a Hatch queso fundido was in the cards.
This queso fundido receta (recipe) is easy and keto low carb, plus gluten free, which makes it great for a crowd and game day.
What is Queso Fundido?
I was introduced to this magical, melted cheese dish at a local taco restaurant in Denver.
Queso fundido translates to “melted cheese” which is the foundation and most important part of this Mexican appetizer.
Traditionally, authentic queso fundido is stretchy, melted cheese with chorizo, often including peppers and/or onions.
Scoop this queso fundido up into a warm tortilla, or dig in with chips. Tortillas are my favorite! They are like a soft cheese taco. Just perfect.
What Cheese should be Used in Queso Fundido?
I love using a mixture of Monterey Jack cheese and Oaxaca (pronounced wa-ha-kuh) cheese for a queso fundido.
Oaxaca cheese is very similar to Monterey Jack. It is stretchy, creamy, and mild white cheese. Taste them side by side and you will notice a slight difference.
You can often find it with other Mexican options in the refrigerated section, typically near fresh Italian options like pasta, and near yogurt or other dairy products.
Pepper Options for Hatch Green Chile Queso Fundido
If you can find fresh roasted Hatch green chiles, those are the best to use. They have the best flavor and come in various heat levels based on your preference.
Next best would be frozen diced green chiles, and then canned diced green chiles.
Another option is to buy Anaheim peppers fresh and roast them yourself. The Anaheim pepper is actually a variety of Hatch peppers that were grown in California. The main difference is they are very, very mild. So to get heat, you will want to add hot sauce.
More Hatch Green Chile Recipes
- 1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 5 ounces Oaxaca cheese (or more Monterey Jack) (1/2 typical sized round of cheese)
- 8 ounces diced green chiles (2 cans or 4 large fresh peppers)
- 1 lime
- tomatoes for garnish, optional
- cilantro for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spread the diced Hatch green chiles across a small baking dish.
- Mix the two cheeses together and sprinkle over the peppers.
- Bake the fundido until the cheese is completely melted, just starting to bubble, but not browned.
- Remove from oven and squeeze 1/4 lime and a sprinkle of salt over the queso.
- Garnish with additional ingredients as desired, such as diced tomatoes or cilantro. Serve immediately with soft tortillas or chips.
2 thoughts on “Hatch Green Chile Queso Fundido”
This was delicious!! Had a Mexican feast surprise 40th party and when the bday girl saw it on the counter she was amazed it was exactly like she had just had the week before in Mexico!! I used canned chopped roasted chili’s drained really well and had to use all Monterey cheese but will find Oaxaca before making again. I’ll def be trying more of your great recipes. Thank you.
That is so wonderful! I am so glad it was well received and it sounds like an amazing party! Thank you so much for stopping by and letting me know, it means a lot and am so excited to have you try more amazing recipes!