This Mexican Street Corn Potato Salad is a fun side dish for your summer BBQ or grilling event. Easy to make in advance for a crowd for a fun twist on a classic recipe!
I love my Mexican Street Corn Salsa and it is one of the most popular recipes on this site – ever! I have been incorporating it into different unique recipes and this Mexican Street Corn Potato Salad is a fun twist on these delicious flavors. This gluten-free potato salad is a great side dish for a summer BBQ or grilling party.
This post contains affiliate links.
I am in LOVE with the bowl that this Mexican Street Corn Potato Salad is in. I went on a trip to Europe with my mom and two sisters, and this was a piece of ceramics that I got in Barcelona. There is a beautiful design on the bottom of the inside of the bowl, which unfortunately you can not see when you use it. I never understood why so much of a design tends to always be where it is covered? But nonetheless, I love this piece and use it as much as I can.
Mexican Street Corn, also called Elote, is AMAZING. A corn cob is roasted and slathered in mayonnaise, chili powder, lime, cilantro, and cotija cheese. It is a special, special thing. One of my favorite party appetizers to make is a Mexican Street Corn Salsa which is always a huge hit. The flavors are so amazing and simple that they deserve to have a mini line of Mexican Street Corn inspired recipes which you can find here!
I made this Mexican Street Corn Potato Salad with a healthy spin by using plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream or mayonnaise. I am NOT a yogurt person, but in recipes like this you cannot tell! You still get the same creamy effect but the seasonings and flavors you mix in cover up any yogurt flavor. It is a great way to put a healthier spin on a potato salad.
Mexican Street Corn Salsa
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese crumbled (approximately 2 ounces)
- 1 jalapeno seeded, finely chopped (or more)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder more or less to taste
- 1 lime
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds gold potatoes cubed into 3/4 inch chunks
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lime
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- While the water is heating, cut the potatoes into 3/4 inch chunks.
- When the water is boiling, add the potatoes. Cook until they are just fork tender, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes. Toss them with the vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Refrigerate until cool, at least 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the Mexican Street Corn Salsa ingredients. Adjust to taste and set aside.
- When the potatoes are cool, in a large bowl combine the potatoes, corn salsa, and remaining ingredients. Mix and season to taste with additional salt, chili powder, lime, cheese, and jalapeno.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.