Support your favorite football team with this colored Philadelphia Eagles Puppy Chow! These muddy buddies are colored for a perfect sweet and salty snack for a tailgate or viewing party.
Table of Contents
Why You Will Love This Recipe
This Philadelphia Eagles recipe is perfect for game day watching your favorite team!
Whether in the playoffs or a regular season game, you can bring personalized color to your snacks and appetizers.
A sweet and salty snack colored with their midnight green, black, silver, and white.
Find full quantities and details in the full recipe card below.
Chex Cereal the plain cereal, not the flavored snack – any flavor/grain is fine but I like to use Rice because it is a light flavor and gluten free
Bright White Candy Melts – Regular white has a little yellow tint to it, so bright white is best to use. You can also find candy melts at your local craft store.
If you want the green to be more of a midnight green like their true color, add one Royal Blue candy melt disc at a time to the green until you get the color you want.
Can I use white chocolate and color it?
I do not recommend using white chocolate and trying to color it, because white chocolate does not melt very well and it takes a lot of coloring to make bold colors.
If these are too sweet on their own, you could mix them with something salty like little pretzels or peanuts.
Melt your candy melts according to package directions. This can be done in the microwave, but reduce the power. If it is too strong and too hot, the candy will not melt properly.
Then toss the cereal with the candy melts gently to coat.
Immediately place in a large resealable bag with powdered sugar and shake!
Now at some point in the process, you are probably going to think at least one of the following (if not all, like I did):
- There is NO WAY that little amount of candy melts will cover all this cereal!
- OH NO the cereal is BREAKING!
- WHY DO THEY ALL LOOK WHITE! I MESSED UP! I CAN’T SEE THE COLOR!
But it’s okay, all of the above are FINE. The candy melts DO cover that much cereal, just keep stirring.
The cereal might break a little but that’s okay! Just be gentle.
And the colors look pretty white when they come out of the bag. But shaking them in the fine mesh strainer gets rid of all that extra powdered sugar and you will see the color!
Modifications and Substitutions
White chocolate is not recommended as it does not melt well and seizes when coloring is added.
Work from the lightest color to the darkest in case any leftover candy melt on the bag, sugar, or bowls transfers.
Increase batch size based on how much you want to have!
The classic puppy chow resembles dog food, hence the name.
They are the same thing! Muddy Buddies is the name that Chex launched the recipe under.
It is best eaten within two days. Store in an air tight container.
More Game Day Recipes
Philadelphia Eagles Puppy Chow
- Measuring Cups
- Large resealable bag
- Medium Bowls
- Place each color of candy melts in separate bowls that are large enough to mix the cereal in for each color (I like to use deep soup bowls).
- Place 1/3 cup powdered sugar in a quart or gallon sized resealable plastic bag.
- Melt the lightest color (white) of candy melts in the microwave as per package directions. Stir frequently to encourage melting.
- When fully melted, immediately mix in the Chex mix. (1/2 cup of cereal for white). Gently toss with a spoon to fully coat.
- Immediately transfer the cereal to the plastic bag with the powdered sugar. Seal and shake. Gently massage the bag from the outside to encourage the cereal to separate, but gentle enough so they do not break.
- Pour the bag contents into a sieve (fine mesh strainer) over another bowl. Shake to remove excess sugar.
- Pour the cereal out on a parchment paper or silicone baking mat lined baking sheet to dry. If there are any pieces that were stuck together, you can pull them apart, dunk them into the discarded sugar, and shake again.
- Let the candy melts that was left behind in the bag dry for a few minutes, then you can crinkle up the bag to remove the candy melts and make it ready for the next color.
- Repeat the process with the green candy melts next, using 1 cup of Chex cereal and fresh powdered sugar.
- Repeat the process with the black candy melts next, using 1 cup of Chex cereal and fresh powdered sugar.
- Mix the colors together, or keep separate, and serve. The puppy chow can be stored in a container or bag for up to 2 days.
- If you want the green to be closer to their true midnight green color, add one royal blue candy melt disc at a time to the green until you get the color you want.