These Bacon and Bourbon Blue Cheese Potato Skins are a fan favorite every year for game day and the Super Bowl!
Aren’t potato skins some of the best snacks for watching sports?
They are such a classic appetizer and perfect for those homegating parties when entertaining family and friends.
And potato-anything is a winner in my book, just like these Bacon and Bourbon Blue Cheese Potato Skins!
The Bourbon Blue Cheese Sauce is the foundation of these potato skins.
This sauce started as a steak topper but I have been using it on everything!
And all of the potato skin variations have become rather popular around here, so I knew I had to combine the two in one amazing dish!
Each year for the Super Bowl, I get input for what people want me to bring. And something tells me that this year, potato skins will be on that list.
This is also our most popular potato skin recipe out of all the variations on the site!
Making Potato Skin Shells
You can find detailed instructions on how to make the best potato skin shells here!
It is my favorite technique as I found using baked potatoes were just too soft and difficult to work with. Plus my technique above is so much faster!
You can also find pre made potato skin shells, without the fillings, in many grocery stores. Look in the area where the french fries are.
The topping possibilities are endless! Now that I have a recipe for perfect potato skins, it is somewhat dangerous because they are so good!
For a fast and easy appetizer, make the Bourbon Blue Cheese Sauce and the Potato Skin Shells in advance. Then you will be able to make these Bacon and Bourbon Blue Cheese Potato Skins in less than 20 minutes!
I am a big fan of making as much as I can in advance, because time always seems to fly when you are busy!
What do you think would be a great filling for potato skins?
Check out our other Potato Skin flavors!
- 12 potato skin shells (see note for recipe)
- 1 1/2 cups bourbon blue cheese sauce (see note for recipe)
- 3/4 cup monterey jack cheese shredded (or Mozzarella)
- 2-3 strips bacon cooked and chopped, optional
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles for garnish, optional
- 1-2 green onions sliced, for garnish, optional
- sour cream for serving
- Make sure your Bourbon Blue Cheese Sauce and potato skin shells are ready to go. See notes for recipes. This can be done in advance or immediately before.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Once your potato skins are prepared (see note below for recipe), place them skin side down on a large cookie sheet.
- Fill each potato skin shell with the blue cheese sauce. If the sauce is thin, reduce the sauce over medium-low heat to thicken first. (Thin sauce will leak out of the potato skin when bitten into. You want the sauce to be similar in consistency of queso).
- Top each potato skin with the monterey jack cheese. You may need more or less depending on the exact size and shape of your potatoes.
- Sprinkle the bacon over each potato skin. Again, you may need more or less depending on how much bacon you like and the size of the potatoes. The pictures above show two slices worth of bacon.
- Place the potato skins in the oven and bake until the cheese has melted and is starting to turn a light brown, approximately 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the potato skins from the oven. If they have gotten too greasy, dab with a paper towel. Sprinkle with additional blue cheese crumbles and green onions if using. Serve warm with any leftover blue cheese sauce and sour cream for dipping.