These Creamy Chicken Enchiladas are a wonderful dinner idea to use up leftover or rotisserie chicken. Mixed with creamy cheese and green chiles, and topped with my popular Hatch Enchilada Sauce, these enchiladas are sure to be a hit!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
There is something about Mexican food that is comforting and delicious with lots of flavor.
These enchiladas are made extra creamy by making a cheesy mixture for the inside and are topped with a flavorful and unique roasted pepper sauce.
They are easy to make in advance and are delicious as leftovers!
These are the ingredients you need for creamy enchiladas:
- Cooked, Shredded Chicken
- Sour Cream
- Pepperjack Cheese
- Corn Tortillas
- Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
Chicken – Any plain, neutral, or Mexican flavored chicken works great here, which makes it perfect for using up leftovers. Rotisserie chicken is also a great option!
The equipment you need to make the homemade enchiladas includes:
- 9×13 inch Baking Dish
- Measuring Cups
- Medium Bowl
This homemade enchilada recipe comes together quickly once you have everything ready to go!
Mix the chicken and filling ingredients together in a bowl.
Put some sauce in the bottom of your baking dish. This prevents sticking and burning, plus more flavor!
Put a little sauce on the tortillas, also for more flavor, and roll up with some filling.
Put the rest of the sauce on top with the rest of the cheese and bake until melted and bubbling.
Serve warm with your favorite sides like Green Chile Mexican Rice and Homemade Refried Black Beans!
Modifications and Substitutions
This Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce is my absolute favorite sauce to use with this recipe. But you can use any enchilada sauce that you like.
Plain Greek Yogurt or even cream cheese can be used in place of sour cream.
Spreading a little sauce on each side of each tortilla is going to help bring flavor and moisture to the enchiladas. It can be skipped, but I definitely recommend it!
Use tortillas that are fresh! Fresh tortillas are less likely to crack so grab a new package from the store to help with this.
Yes! The mixture will be a little thicker but it will work just fine.
Use fresh corn tortillas! The dryer they are, the more likely they are to crack and break as you roll them. And the older tortillas are, the dryer they become.
I bake uncovered so that the top browns up a little.
If you feel it is browning too much, you can add foil on top.
I love pepperjack because it is a great melting white cheese with bits of flavor.
Monterey jack is a great substitute (the same as pepperjack minus the pepper pieces).
- 3 cups shredded chicken (any leftover chicken such as rotisserie) (approx 2 large breasts)
- 1 ½ cups sour cream (16 ounce container)
- 8 ounces diced green chiles heat level of choice
- 3 cups shredded pepperjack cheese or monterey jack
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 ½ cups Hatch Chile Green Enchilada Sauce (1 batch) (or sauce of choice)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In medium bowl, combine the shredded chicken, 1.5 cups of the pepperjack cheese, green chiles, and sour cream. Set aside.3 cups shredded chicken, 1 ½ cups sour cream, 3 cups shredded pepperjack cheese, 8 ounces diced green chiles
- Line the bottom of your baking dish with a little of the enchilada sauce (just enough to coat it) – about 1/3 cup.1 ½ cups Hatch Chile Green Enchilada Sauce
- Lightly brush a tortilla on each side with some of the enchilada sauce.12 corn tortillas
- Scoop about 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture onto the tortilla, about a third of the way down a tortilla, across the tortilla in a line.
- Roll the tortilla up and place in the baking dish, seam side down.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas and mixture.
- Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the rolled enchiladas.
- Sprinkle the remaining pepperjack cheese across the enchiladas.
- Bake until the sauce around the edges of the dish is bubbling and the cheese is melted and turning light brown. Approximately 20-25 minutes.
5 thoughts on “Creamy Chicken Enchiladas”
I made these enchiladas for supper last night, and they were so delicious! Will definitely make these again!
How wonderful! I am so glad you liked them!
Chicken enchiladas are one of our favorites! This recipe sounds very delicious! Excited to give it a try!
Wow! Such a unique Enchiladas recipe that looks so delicious! A Mexican dish that will be loved by many in an instant! I love the use of leftovers for ingredients! It’s very convenient and Gluten-free.
This is one of my favorite dishes I made.
It is so delicious and easy! I can’t wait to make this again for the weekend.