This Macaroni Salad with Egg recipe is a perfect side dish for your summer party! Made with classic ingredients, this creamy pasta salad will be a favorite with all of your guests.
Pasta Salad with Egg
I just love this Macaroni Salad with Egg because it is full of classic, simple flavors that pair well with everything and it is always a huge hit!
The addition of eggs brings another element of texture, protein, and flavor to a classic side dish. Serve it up with our Smoked Chicken Thighs or any other barbecue meal!
Do You Put Egg in Pasta Salad?
You can! And I included it in this recipe.
It is a great way to bring a different texture, flavor, and protein to the dish.
What’s Good to Put in Macaroni Salad?
I stick to simple and classic mix ins here for this pasta salad.
You can also use additional or different mix ins such as the following, based on what sounds good to you!
- Fresh Parsley
What is in Macaroni Salad with Egg?
Here is what you need to make this pasta salad recipe:
- Large Eggs
- Macaroni (or another shaped pasta)
- Dried Mustard
- Red Onion
- Lemon Juice
- Black Pepper
You can add or substitute any other mix ins as desired!
How Many Eggs Do You Put in Macaroni?
Two if you want a lighter volume of egg, three for what could be considered “standard,” and four (or more!) if you want egg to be more prominent!
This base recipe calls for three large eggs, and you can use more or less as desired.
How Long Should I Boil Eggs?
You will want to boil them for 6 minutes for a softer yolk that is still cooked, or 8 minutes for a harder firmer yolk.
There are a lot of “tricks” and “hacks” out there for boiling and peeling eggs. I have tried SO many of them and none seem to be any better than the others.
Until I tried the Instant Pot method! If you have an Instant Pot, cook them on manual pressure for 5 minutes, do 5 minutes of natural release and then manual release the rest of the time, and then plunge in ice water for 5 minutes. If you are at a high altitude like me (Denver, CO), cook for 6 minutes and 6 minutes natural release.
They peel like a DREAM!
How to Make Macaroni Salad with Egg
First cook your eggs.
Then cook your pasta to al dente so it is not too soft. Drizzle with olive oil, which will help prevent it from sticking in one large chunk, mix, and chill at least 30 minutes.
Also prepare your mix ins by chopping and dicing them up. You can keep these eggs, celery, and onion in the same container as the pasta if desired.
Make your sauce by mixing together the rest of the ingredients and chill separately until ready to serve.
When ready to serve, mix it all up and season to taste as desired with salt and pepper.
How Do You Make Mac Salad Moist?
The secret here is not mixing the sauce with the pasta until you are ready to serve.
If you mix the sauce in too early, it will be partially absorbed. This means the pasta will get softer and mushy, and the pasta salad will feel somewhat dry.
How Do You Cut Eggs for Macaroni Salad?
I like to use bigger chunks, so I first cut them in half lengthwise, then in half lengthwise again, and then each strip into three or so chunks.
Cut them as large or fine as you like!
- Hard boil your eggs via your favorite method.I like to do this in the Instant Pot (instructions in notes).
- Cook your pasta as per package directions in a large pot of salted water until al dente (not too soft).
- When the pasta is done, drain, drizzle with a little olive oil, stir to coat, and chill at least 30 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the rest of the mix ins and the sauce as follows:
- Peel and chop the eggs into large chunks (or desired size).Cut in half lengthwise, then lengthwise again, and then chunks. Set aside.
- Finely chop the celery and red onion. Set aside.
- Make the sauce in a medium bowl. Whisk together the mayonnaise, relish, lemon juice, and mustard. Season to taste as desired with salt and pepper.
- Chill the sauce separately until ready to serve.The mix ins can be chilled until serving by adding them in the same container/bowl as the pasta.
- When ready to serve, mix all of the ingredients and the sauce together. Season to taste as desired.