This fast and easy Beer Cheese Dip recipe will be a new favorite! Amazing as an appetizer or use it as a sauce.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Beer Cheese Sauce is a perfect balance of just that – beer and cheese flavor!
It only takes a few minutes to make and is sure to be a big hit at your game day party or gathering.
This Beer Cheese Dip is also amazing used as a condiment sauce for things like our BBQ Pulled Pork Nachos!
This recipe is thick which makes it perfect for dunking! But if you want it thinner, we have notes below on how to do that, too!
These are the ingredients you need to make the homemade cheese dip:
- Cheddar Cheese
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Beer (Stout or Ale – I prefer stout like Guinness)
- Dijon Mustard
- Worcestershire Sauce
This is the equipment you need to make a beer cheese sauce:
- Medium Pot
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
Melt your butter in a pot.
Add your flour and seasonings and cook briefly.
Whisk in your flour and then the beer.
Over a low heat, add your cheeses and whisk until melted.
Modifications and Substitutions
Stouts or ales are the best beers to use as the flavor is more prominent, but you can use any beer you like.
Adjust the consistency as needed based on what you use the sauce for. If using for things like nachos, this sauce is already thick which is perfect. If you want the sauce thinner, reduce butter and flour to 2 Tablespoons each.
Freshly grated cheese is best when possible as it is not covered in anti-caking agents, which means it will melt more easily.
This comes down to personal preference. I recommend stouts or ales because of the flavor that comes through.
IPAs also work well if you like hoppy beers.
Beers like a pilsner will be much milder and subtle in flavor.
Technically a very small amount is left because the dip is not cooked for a long period of time, and technically no matter how long cooked there is always a small amount left.
But it is not enough where you would feel any effect of the alcohol.
You will taste a hint of the beer that is also balanced with the taste of cheese.
Soft pretzels are the ideal dunker for beer cheese! Other great options include tortilla chips, bread, and vegetables.
Beer Cheese Dip
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne) optional
- ½ cup stout beer or ale (such as Guinness)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat a medium pot over medium heat.
- Melt the butter in the pot.4 Tablespoons butter
- Add the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, and ground red pepper. Stir and cook 1 minute.¼ cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- Add the milk and beer and whisk until smooth.½ cup stout beer, 1 cup milk
- Add the Dijon and Worcestershire and whisk.1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Continue cooking until the sauce is thickening, about 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add the cheeses and whisk until smooth.1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Adjust seasoning and consistency as desired.
- Serve warm.