This Hatch Green Chile Potato Salad is an amazing twist on a classic summer BBQ recipe! A simple side dish highlighting a popular roasted pepper flavor.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
This Hatch Green Chile Potato Salad is a great way to bring wonderful unique flavors to a classic while keeping the BBQ side dish versatile.
A creamy potato salad is flavored with the popular roasted chile peppers.
And while perfect for a cookout with Mexican flavors, it is versatile enough to be used with any barbecue or grilling meal that you make.
These are the ingredients you need to make this potato salad recipe:
- Gold Potatoes
- Hatch Green Chiles
- Sour Cream
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Green Chile Powder (optional)
- Black Pepper
What are Hatch Chile Peppers?
These peppers are named after the town they originated in: Hatch, New Mexico.
They are long, somewhat thin, light green peppers.
If you are familiar with Anaheim peppers, they actually are very similar! Anaheim peppers were taken from Hatch to Anaheim, California and grown to be incredibly mild with very little heat.
Fresh peppers are best if you can find them, followed by frozen ones that you can find in the Hispanic frozen section of the grocery store. Canned peppers will also work great!
This is the equipment you need to make the recipe:
- Cutting Board
- Large Pot
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Mixing Spoon
Get a large pot of water boiling and cut the potatoes into large chunks.
Cook the potatoes until just for tender and drain.
Mix the potatoes with vinegar, salt, and pepper. This will season the potatoes. Don’t worry, it will not have a strong vinegar taste in the final product! Chill.
Make the sauce by combining the sour cream, mayonnaise, and seasonings.
When ready to serve, combine the potatoes with the sauce, celery, and green chiles.
Modifications and Substitutions
Use any heat level of pepper that you prefer! I like to use mild when feeding a crowd.
Plain Greek yogurt is a great lighter swap for sour cream.
This potato salad would also be great with bacon or chicken mixed in!
If making in advance, do not mix the potatoes into the sauce until ready to serve. Otherwise the potatoes absorb the moisture and the salad gets a little dry.
I like to chill the potatoes and sauce to make the salad really cold!
Several ingredients can be on the bland side on their own, so it is important to season!
If you feel like the flavor is still not there after making the sauce, adjust with additional seasonings as desired.
Yes, it can be made two days in advance.
I recommend keeping the sauce separate from the potatoes so that it is not absorbed, resulting in a dryer salad with softer potatoes.
Yes! This is a great way to make sure they are really chilled and get some work done in advance.
The base of a potato salad includes waxy potatoes, mayonnaise, sour cream, mix ins, and seasonings.
- Spatula or serving/mixing spoon
- 3 pounds gold potatoes cubed into 3/4 inch chunks
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon green chile powder optional
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 8 ounces diced green chiles heat level of choice
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- While the water is heating, cut the potatoes into 3/4 inch chunks.3 pounds gold potatoes
- When the water is boiling, add the potatoes. Cook until they are just fork tender, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes. Toss them with the vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Refrigerate until cool, at least 30 minutes.⅓ cup apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- While the potatoes are cooking or cooling, make the sauce in a large bowl. Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, ground cumin, green chile powder (if using), and additional 1/2 teaspoon salt.½ cup sour cream, 1 cup mayonnaise, ½ teaspoon ground cumin, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon green chile powder, 1 teaspoon salt
- When the potatoes are cool and when you are ready to serve, in a large bowl combine the potatoes with the sauce mixture, celery, and diced green chiles. Season to taste if desired or needed.2 stalks celery, 8 ounces diced green chiles
- Serve cold and garnish with additional peppers if desired.